Scallop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scallop?

Ok I have to ask this. I have read a lot of threads and here. You all talk about scalloped/scallop neck. What does that mean? And what does it do for your sound or playing?
    Last edited by dk1ben; 06-02-2007, 12:10 PM.

A "Scalloped finger board is when the wood between the fret wire is scooped out. (actualy filed and sanded out) but it looks like a scoop. A trough if you will running between the frets. The idea is you can get a better grip on the string without touching the finger board. Some say touching the fingerboard adds drag to your playing. It mostly used for a better control of the string. Being able to get a better grip on it gives you more control of it. he deepere the scallpo the more likely you are to go out of tune when you play. Pressing to hard will make notes go sharp. So it takes a lighter touch to get the same effect. Or just use heavier strings. Its not for everybody. But it is kinda fun to mess around with from time to time. HArder to chord on though. At least for me.
    Gil

Comment

Example:

My Main Rig:
      '87 Charvel Model 4A
      Peavey KB100 amp
      Ibanez SM7 Smashbox

Others:
      '92 Gibson Les Paul Custom
      '05 Ibanez RG320FM
      '86 Ovation Pinnacle
      '98 Synsonics Custom Strat
      '89 Kramer 700ST Bass

Comment

thanks. yea i kinda figured that was what you all were talking about but never saw a picture attached when it was the topic. looks cool. Thank a lot.

Comment

Working...
        X