kahler experts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kahler experts....

hey, any of you guys have troubles with kahlers not returning to zero? i know how to get around that with floyds, but what about the kahlers? anything i can do other than set the guitar ablaze and pee out the flames?

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Re: kahler experts....

Set it ablaze and hold the pee? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Have you lubed the bearings and completely cleaned the whole unit? That will usually fix any "stickiness". It's also possible you may have to upgrade the springs as over time with use, they can get "sloppy".

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

nah, i'm askin for someone who has a guitar with one on it... sadly i don't have it here to mess with.

how easy is it to find new springs for these things?

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Actually they are pretty tough to find but I heard Doc had some and axeparts.net may have some or there is always ebay... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . Good luck sully,

Dave->
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Why don't you just tighten the spring tension screw a little and try it? Very seldom do they actually need new springs.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I have never had that problem with my Kahler. It's an old Pro model on my Carvin Ultra V. Been banging on it since '87. I still have the instructions for it here somwhere. I can did it out and see if there is any tips for fixing that problem.
              "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

www.axeparts.net has links to pdfs of manuals. All those little allen screws do all sorts of things. I have Kahlers but never use them for whammy stuff.

Comment

The springs are a possibility, but it could also be the locking clamp. The underside of the frame can get grooved so the strings slip, and you can't see it.

I'd take the clamp off and completely apart next string change, to see if the clamping blocks or frame are grooved. If so that'd be the culprit, and you can check that the same time you clean and lube the bridge itself. Be sure to check and make sure none of the rollers have siezed up due to crud buldup.

Kahlers really need that oiling at least every 3 months to stay fully functional.
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

thanks guys, i appreciate the assistance!

sully
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I ditto checking the locking nut to make sure it's working right and to make sure the strings aren't binding in the nut if it's a behind-the-nut lock. Check my responses to the thread below for details:

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubb/noncgi/...c;f=7;t=001655
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

got that very same problem on my model 6
                        - not returning the kahler into zero - [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                        god bless the search function [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        i will follow your advices in cleaning and oiling it regularely
                        it´s now after the first cleaning and setup (and some WD40) even better as when i bought her (hangin´ around several years in a doghouse-like musicshop)
                        i´m quite sure the problem will reduce through regular maintenance
                        did i mention the model 6 is great? it is! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

greetz Andy

Comment

Working...
                        X