Help...need wiring diagram for Gibson Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help...need wiring diagram for Gibson Charvel

Hello...I just found this forum, and realize it isn't aimed at the Gibson Wayne Charvel model guitars, but I haven't found any info anywhere else, and though someone here might be of help.
    I have a Gibson Wayne Charvel. My son started re-wiring it several years ago...and never finished. I need to find a wiring diagram to repair it. It has a humbucker in bridge position, and two single pickups. The guitar has a push/pull volume knob and a single tone knob, and 4 toggle switches. I believe one of the toggles was added by a previous owner. I haven't been able to find any wiring diagrams online.
    Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
    Dave

Re: Help...need wiring diagram for Gibson Charvel

You will most likely need to piece together different diagrams to get what you need. The fourth toggle is most likely a coil splittler for the bridge humbucker. You should try guitarelectronics.com There are a ton of diagrams on there. Also see if anyone has the wiring diagrams that come with SD pickups-they tell you how to wire coil splitters. THe push pull pot is a whole other animal....I have never used one so someone else may need to help you with that. Good Luck!

Comment

Good luck! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The guitar has had a hard life. It was the main stage guitar for my son's guitar teacher for many years. I will need to refinish it, as well as rewire it. I will check out the site you suggested.
        Dave

Comment

I checked the site suggested, but all the 3 pickup setups they had used the 5 way switch...this guitar has 4 individual toggles. I sent an email to Wayne Charvel at Wayne's Guitars. It will be curious to see if he answers. I found the Gibson tech support page, and left them a request. Hopefully, one of those sites will come through with a wiring diagram.

Comment

The toggle switches are for each pickup - each switch should be only two positions; on/off. If they are 3 position, then they are on/off/on.

Assuming they are on/off with 3 prongs, and assuming you have Seymour Duncan pickups (color coding):

Bridge pickup's black wire to the first toggle's left prong.
            Middle pickup's white wire to the second switch's left prong
            Neck pickup's white wire to the third switch's left prong.
            Center prong of all three switches to left prong of 4th switch.
            Center prong of 4th switch to volume knob
            Volume to Tone
            Tone to output

This allows the 4th swicth to act as a kill switch.

If you'd rather have coil splitting on the humbucker, run the bridge pickup's red/white wire combo to the left prong of the 4th switch, connect the center prongs of all 4 switches to the volume knob.

If they are on/off/on, then you can jump wires to the right prongs for different pickup combinations (Neck & middle, bridge & neck, etc etc)

[img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]
            Jeez fellas, I can't believe it's so difficult to type out a helpful response besides posting a link to a site that contains little to no useful info [img]graemlins/eyes.gif[/img]
            We're supposed to be here to help, not act like GC employees and say "That's not my department"

Newc
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X