Bolt on neck "clicking"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt on neck "clicking"

Well my model 1 is perfect and I love it, but if I apply a bit of pressure to the neck either up or down, it makes a clicking straining noise. Is this bad or nothing to really worry about. There are tiney tiny hairline cracks near where the neck meets the body but I dont think they are a problem.
    Any help?
    Cheers [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Bolt on neck "clicking"

where are the hairline cracks? on the neck or the body?
    if it's clicking from the slightest pressure....sounds like a big worry to me ...you might want to take that baby apart and look for something serious. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

hell,i've got actual truss rod showing on 1 of my necks and it doesn't creak or crack!
    Rory

Comment

They are on the body but they are tiny and not deep at all. The click is more of a creak and is coming from where neck meets body. It might just be wood rubbing against wood? You have to put a decent amount of pressure on it though. Not heaps.

Comment

well....i don't think it's wood on wood rubbing...
        if that were the case,it'd mean your neck was loose.
        i'm trying to understand just exactly what kind of pressure you're putting on this neck and why [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

i mean i've done and still do use the method of pushing and pulling on the headstock while holding the upper horn for some cool bends in tones....but it doesn't take any real pressure to accomplish that.
        so maybe somebody else on here has an idea...because i'm clueless unless the neck has a crack in it at the heel. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

ok...i just noticed the choice of words i used in my last post...."wood on wood rubbing"..... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] .....
          ummm....let's not get any ideas here guys. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          Rory

Comment

well you know when you play sitting down you rest your forearm on the body for support. Well on the odd occasion if i shift and pull the neck up (while bending etc.) It creaks.

Ha. Wood on wood. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Is that how manlovers make babies! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

hmmmm......that really sounds wrong to me...
              i still think you should pull the neck off and check the heel just for shits and giggles so you're not running the risk of it actually snapping. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

I've had this happen before.

Its usually no worry.

Put toothpicks in the screwholes, and a x shape of woodglue bead on your neck, and tighten her down.

Thats if youw orry about it.

All of my bolt ons have shifted a tad, except my strat.

Comment

Thanks a lot Gwar. Im getting the vibe that its nothing serious so I'm gonna leave it but if it gets louder or more frequent I will check it out. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Break the screws loose and re-torque them.

Comment

Just tighten the neck screws a little, you'll probably find that they will go 1/2 turn or better. Don't glue the neck on! If all of my bolt-on guitars have made it through the years without having to glue the necks on yours probably will too. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Chuck, you're too fast bro!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Cheers! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I dont wanna overtighten them though!

Comment

Break the screws loose and re-torque them.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would try what Chuck said before I try anything else.

Matt

Comment

Re: Bolt on neck &quot;clicking&quot;

Break them loose? Unscrew them? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X