Repainting Jackson bodies....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting Jackson bodies....

Well, I need to repaint. I am set on doing it myself and putting in the time. Reranch makes this pretty easy, but I would still like some tips.

I am painting the body black, although I wish reranch had a dark grey in the can. How could I lighten up the black, or would that be too hard because it is a spray? For black, all I need is the the black aerosol paint, and the lacquer for the clear coat (which will be satin), along with sandpaper and buffer type stuff? Anyone have experience with their products and the process of refinishing?

Also, I think it would be cool to add a little texture to the paint, but not overboard like the Ibanez DBKs. Would sand work to give it a little texture?

Re: Repainting Jackson bodies....

In light coats:
    primer
    sand
    primer
    sad
    primr
    sand

paint
    buff
    paint
    buff
    paint
    buff

clearcoat
    buff
    clearcoat
    buff

Not in that exact # of layers (depends on what you're happy with), but it is definitely primer, the paint, then clearcoat.

No you don't grab a can of Krylon. There's a poly paint that'll work for it, but you'll need an airbrush.

Comment

Have you done this before? If not ...strip body to wood..sand smooth...use some sand sealer....test spray..if it sucks into the wood the start over...better yet...drop me an email! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Rikrok:
        Have you done this before? If not ...strip body to wood..sand smooth...use some sand sealer....test spray..if it sucks into the wood then start over...better yet...drop me an email! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

you need to watch for "dry" spots as well....these are obvious if you know what to look for.
          apply light thin coats 1 at a time,with the alloted amount of drying time between coats the paint manufacturer recommends.if you don't follow the required times,your paint job may "lift off" of itself and you'll have to start over.
          use a tack cloth before starting to remove any unwanted dust or loose particles and in between each sanding..you can get those at any hardware store.
          somewhere between 55 to 75 degrees is the best temp. to paint at with 40% to 60% relative humidity.
          nice even smooth side-to-side fan spray from before the edges to just beyond the edges will ensure a good even coat.
          if you need any more help let me know.
          Rory

Comment

ohhh...and 1 more thing.....use black primer under black paint.
            Rory

Comment

Lacquer from a spray can will never ever dry. Thus you can not case this guitar for about 20 to 30 years! DUH on the double post thing! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Comment

So this nitrocellu.... lacquer spray never dries?? What clear coat should I use then?

Comment

Ooohhhhhh! Yes nitro dries! Sorry, man I thought you went and bought part store lacquer! It still might take some time though. Do not get in a hurry for it to dry. I see a lot of people who want it dry "right know". It will probably take a feww days. Do the fingernail test. If you can make a small "indention" with your nail, then wait. The end result will be to your satisfaction!

Comment

coolness, thanks guys.

Comment

Oh and uh..Vai is not God. Yngwie is! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I would'nt bring it to wood. some woods can have very open grain and you'll have to deal with filling it in. Get a palm sander and hit it with like 100-150 grit and wipe it clean with some take off or prep sol. to make sure knicks are gone I go over it with my hands and my eyes closed. if you feel anything it'll show up latter. Primer will look good because its flat so feel over it again after priming and touch up any problem areas w/red lead. light sand or scothbrite it to add a little tooth for the paint to grab. (you never want to "buff" before painting)Put your main color on,you'll know when its dry by the smell(it'll be gone) Lacquer dries fast, enamel dries slow! Do a few coats cause if you did a good job prepping now may be a good time to do your first wetsanding. Use 600 grit and do it lightly till the shine is gone and it looks uniform when you hold it to the light.go light on the edges. If all looks good you are ready for clear.Lay as many coats as you want waiting a short time between each so you get no runs. When thats fully dry ,wetsand and light compound should have you looking good. all this sanding between coats is really not needed cause if the clear is smooth everything underneath will look it also. I'm not saying you can cover a mountain w/clear. the careful first steps will take care of that. If you can make a paint pole like the pros use.I used a piece of electrical conduit pipe and flattened and drilled the end. its alot easier to paint it lying sides ways the hanging. good luck
                        Ok , I'm sure there will be people who will debate this but it works for me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

nitrocellulose also SHRINKS almost continuously...
                          takes forever to cure...like 3 weeks
                          it will crack over time...
                          and it's not really the most durable,
                          especially for those who play hard like most shredders! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                          Rory

Comment

Yngwie is a waste of time

Comment

Originally posted by RockBrigadePC1:
                              Yngwie is a waste of time
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, well so is this thread when it comes to guitar refinishing!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                              X