DR "Extra" Color Coated Strings Pics & Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR "Extra" Color Coated Strings Pics & Review

Well, I normally don't go out buying $10+ strings but I had a slew of music store gift cards left over from Christmas and my birthday so I blew them on some of these DR Color Coated Strings. They're really pretty cool looking and play as good or better as my old favorites. I remember the gold Maxima strings from the 90's and enjoyed them, but these colors are really cool. Here's a few on some guitars:

The Hot Pink on an SD Soloist of the same paint:

I just got a new (to me) Carvin X220 in jet black paint, so I installed the Black Beauties:

The Silver Stars are cool, but look too similar to regular strings. I put a set on my silver sparkle King V:

I haven't had a chance to string up the following colors:

So if you get a chance, try 'em out. They're costly, but cool. And if you buy a few different colored sets, you could "rainbow" your guitar. How cool to have a low E pink string, a yellow A, a blue D, a green G, etc. They are supposed to last 3-5 times longer than normal strings because of the extra coating, yet they feel no different than normal strings. They do not leave any residue behind on your fingers or fretboard. The literature says that with heavy picking it's possible the strings could lose some of their color coating, but that they will still continue to function as normal. I've played the black strings now for a few hours over a few days and still blacker than black. Rock on!
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

i have the Black ones on my RR3 and ive worn the coating off where i pick on the D, A, and E. i find that they dont have that new string "twang" like normal strings, and they stay slick, rather than gunk up, even if you dont wipe them down every time. they pretty much have me sold as long as they stay good as long as they say. ive got some Dimebag sets coming so i can check them out as well. says theyre coated with "String Life" and i wonder if its the same only not colored. if it is, cool, cuz theyre cheaper, if not...no biggie. ill just stay with the Black Beauties cuz theyr look the coolest LOL
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

I wonder how cool the black set would look on my DK2M? May look pretty cool with the maple board as a contrast and they would highlight the black binding.
      My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

black strings= dirty regular strings
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I may have to grab a black set for my Westone Dimension IV and try em out. That guitar is completely trans-red, even the fretboard, has black dot inlays. Black strings, or red, would probably look pretty goddamn rad.
          Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Working...
          X