Ground wire screwed into body cavity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground wire screwed into body cavity?

I am trying to re-install some passive pickups that I have into my Charvel SurfCaster bass, but I am a bit confused. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Basically, what do I attach the wire thats screwed into the body to? Do I attach it to a volume pot or something?

Then, after I get that figured out, I need to know what to attach the wire from under the bridge to. Does that go to the input jack or a volume pot?

I guess it might help to say that I am trying to wire this thing wih 2 volume pots and one tone pot.

Thanks for your help.

[email protected] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Ground wire screwed into body cavity?

Wire them all to ground (i.e. a pot or a switch casing).

Comment

Yes, the wire from the bridge should be wired to the back of a pot, and all of the backs of the pots should be wired together and to the sleeve of the output jack. The screw in the body is just a common ground point, someplace to have all your grounds meet up. The fact that it is screwed into the body is just to keep it out of the way of everything else.

Comment

Actually, the screw in the body grounds the conductive paint as well-the black paint that should be in all the cavities (or copper tape on some). This sends any interference to ground and reduces the chance of picking up radio stations and other weird noises through your guitar. Remember in Spinal Tap, when Nigel started picking up the Air Force radio signal through his guitar? Don't let this happen to YOU!

Comment

It's screwed into the body because the body is painted with conductive paint. The paint shields the electronics from interference and provides a convenient common ground. In order for the shielding to be effective, it needs to be connected to ground. Charvel had this one right; there's no need to mess with it. Screw it back in where it was.

Comment

Working...
          X