guitar player in a band....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar player in a band....

Any around here play in a band as a bass player, though being more of a guitar playeR?

A few years ago I played bass in my first band even though I'm a guitar player. I might join a second band as bass player again as it would be fun and I still have a bass rig even though I currently play guitar in my band.

Comment

could one have a gigable rig including a bass for 1k? I have some friends that want to start a cover band, and we all play guitar. Since they are a bit more skilled than me I will be taking the bass duties. We will be covering Priest, Sabbath, Deth, Metallica, Zepplin, etc.

Comment

Depends on the amp setup. If you run direct in to the board, or don't need much stage volume, you may be able to pull it off.

A powerful bass amp and cabinet to be heard over guitars and drums in a practice space environment will run you close to 1,000.00. Then, you need a bass...

I use a Mesa M-Pulse 600 (800.00 used) and an Eden 410XLT cabinet (500.00 used), and that has all the power I need.

Before my current rig I had an Ampeg B2R and an Ampex 2x10 cabinet, and it was not a powerful enough of a setup to be heard over drums and guitar.

- E.

- Eric
        Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

this would be all our first time playing in a band, so we won't be playing very large venues are big crowds. Just small little bars i would think and peoples parties.

Comment

I RULE on bass..

I am the shit..I taught God how to play bass..

I'm trying to master 6 and 7 strings now..ummm, that's been more of a challenge.
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yup, but now I'm just as much of a bassist as guitarist.

I'm sellin a completely modded out NJ Warlock bass, if you're interested. PM me for details.
              "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
              Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
              Dimebag Darrell
              Chuck Schuldiner
              Cliff Burton

Comment

Originally posted by TrendkillDBD View Post
                Yup, but now I'm just as much of a bassist as guitarist.

I'm sellin a completely modded out NJ Warlock bass, if you're interested. PM me for details.
                Negative on the bass..but thanks..my next bass will be my fave..a G&L..this will be my fourth ..if I were to buy one.

I got my kid a $200 "First Act" bass for under $50 bucks..don't laugh..me and my son slap the shit out of it everday..I owned many very nice basses.

Good work..yeah, I'm a very good writer and player..Not Jeff Loomis good, but I'm slowly thrying to get there...I just discovered the art of moving my favorite shapes I like to play really fast in thirds, fourths and fifth..my fave is fourths.

Funny thing is..I showed all that I know to my 12 year old son (who smokes on drums) and it took a weekend or two to master what took me years..I don't play drums but I taught my son what to do on drums..by tapping on the table, wall and jamming with him since he was 5..now he kills.

I showed him the intro to "higher ground" from the RHCP's for starters and he grabbed the basss from me and played it on the spot..it was a little rough..but he smoothed it up that night..WTF is that??

How I got good on bass is that I always played to a click track..a preset on my Roland 505 Drum Machine..I would slap or tap to a beat, then gradulally turn the tempo all the way up and still stay in time..

Now my son is my click track..so allmy riff originate with a beat..so I can lay everything out to a simple click...no matter how complex it sounds.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

me! I use ampeg stuff that i kinda lucked into getting for cheap from a friend and i have a g&l tribute L2000 bass and a fender pbass i just bought. I love the band I'm in now but I miss playing guitar in bands a lot sometimes....

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
                    me! I use ampeg stuff that i kinda lucked into getting for cheap from a friend and i have a g&l tribute L2000 bass and a fender pbass i just bought. I love the band I'm in now but I miss playing guitar in bands a lot sometimes....
                    those gl 2000 look great, I couldnt afford more than a tribute though. I would def buy a used head and cab next problem would be my mustang lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
                      That's right..I must get me another bass set up..a G&L L2000 for starters.

Carvin and Ampeg amps are only bass amps I care for. Since I had so much luck thru the years gigging with Carvin, I must go with what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        That's right..I must get me another bass set up..a G&L L2000 for starters.

Carvin and Ampeg amps are only bass amps I care for. Since I had so much luck thru the years gigging with Carvin, I must go with what I know.
                        so do you play guitar or bass in a bnad? you also have an ubershall right?

Comment

I just play guitar now...but I play both guitar/bass/ on my demo.

I haven't picked up a bass in a while but whenever I do ..I slap the shit out of it like I never put it down.

I bought my kid a bass for Christmas...I brush up my chops when showing him stuff..which he picked up quick.

Yeah, I love my Uberchall..I jam with my son all the time..He's my drummer at this time and we write together.

Comment

I've played bass when needed on bands and also when recording.

Bass is so much fun... but Guitar for me is sex, the best sex of them all

Comment

I play bass on most of my recordings, I started on bass before guitar. I enjoy bass almost as much as guitar but I play entirely different music on both. I got a fretless a few weeks ago and I'm digging it!
                              Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Working...
                              X