Calling all Techies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Techies...

I love guitars and I have always been a tinker type of guy -- what I want to know is this...

How does one get into being a guitar tech/repair person? What do I need to get started and what kind of road blocks are out there for starting my own local business doing the same?

Is it worth it and can I make a living playing with my big boy toys?

Any advice, suggestions, comments and questions are welcome...

D>

Re: Calling all Techies...

Work on your guitars extensively, talk with other techs/luthiers, read whatever material available on the subject, and start off working for your friend's band.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

I would suggest getting a job at a local respected guitar shop and learn from a pro. You might have to start at the very bottom of the food chain by just doing string changes and minor things but starting from the bottom will give you a good foundation.

Comment

what they said &
        buy some POS guitars & pullem apart & put them back together. pravtice & not many people will let you practice on there stuff $10 garage sale POSs. watever

Comment

I went to school here in Los Angeles for six months after having tinkered with my own guitars for a few years. Now I could get a job at any repair shop that is hiring, or work at just about any factory. However, I have choosen to be a professional guitar tech, and I just got done doing studio work for Capitol Records. I work on guitars all day, hang out with rock stars and get paid more than 90% of my friends. Soon I should be leaving on tour for a year to a year and a half, making upwards of $2000/wk.

As for opening your own shop, I have no idea what it would be like in your town. Around here is pretty competitive, but I am sure that I could do alright. Knowing musicians is as important as anything else in this job. Customers won't just fall in your lap.

[ March 17, 2004, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

Thanks guys -- I really do appreciate the input -- keep'em coming!!

D>

Comment

Originally posted by Ace:
              I just got done doing studio work for Capitol Records. I work on guitars all day, hang out with rock stars and get paid more than 90% of my friends. Soon I should be leaving on tour for a year to a year and a half, making upwards of $2000/wk.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cool! Congrats, Ace! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

hey, great to hear, Ace! Be sure to take pics & notes, we wanna hear & see all about your adventures when you drop back in here [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                X