Recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording

Im lookin to get started in home recording. Right now im really thinkin about gettin a recorder, either USB based or multitrack. Any suggestions for me? Thanks a lot.

Re: Recording

There are some excellent multitrack recording software out there that gets the job done. It's the easiest and most versatile way for home recording if you don't have a lot of cash.

There are great software drum machines for free too.

And even software to enhance MIDI quality; they sound pretty good and serves well as backing tracks for guitar oriented pieces.

Comment

If you have already got a decent computer, then that's probably the way to go.

Just get M-Audio's Audiophile 2496 soundcard, it's great, has no latency and doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.
      Then you'll need a POD/V-amp or if the budget is low you could even use software to get distortion and effects.
      I record using Steinberg's Cubase SX software, it's great.
      Other software alternatives are Sonar Cakewalk, Cubase SL, ProTools.

good luck,

- Rune.

Comment

I agree with the PC thing, and suggest the Echo MIA as a possible alternative. Actually, the hardware in the MIA & the Audiophile is very similar; almost identical. The main difference is bundled software & drivers; I recommend searching the web for user responses on this issue if you want to go this way.

But there are many possibilities. There are great hard disk or solid state media recorders available for a few hundred bucks. If you want portability, that might be an advantage. If your PC has a CRT monitor and you have single coil pickups, noise might be an issue with a PC setup.

And you can record on a separate unit and port the files to a PC for mixing; this is how I work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse Greenawalt:
          I agree with the PC thing, and suggest the Echo MIA as a possible alternative. Actually, the hardware in the MIA & the Audiophile is very similar; almost identical. The main difference is bundled software & drivers; I recommend searching the web for user responses on this issue if you want to go this way.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am very happy with my Audiophile 2496, but I think that other differences include the inputs: the AP has RCAs, the Mia Midi has TRS 1/4" jacks, the AP takes a -10db signal, the Mia Midi a +4.

But I've never had any problems with my little mixer and my Audiophile.

Keith

p.s. Sonar 3 Producer is what I use.
          The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Here's my setup:

Instruments into a Mackie CFX-16 mixer &gt; M-Audio Delta 66 &gt; PC.

I record with Cool Edit Pro 1.2a

Excellent setup and has TONS of flexibility.

I have been using Adobe Audition these days more and more, which is the NEW version of Cool Edit Pro since Adobe bought them, but it definately requires a better than average machine to work with it correctly. Cool Edit Pro 1.2 seemed to run fine on a semi-decent machine without too much hardware demands.

You should check into the M-Audio OmniStudio which DOES have volume/gain controls so you wouldn't have to use a mixer with it.

This is a GREAT way to record.

Perfect for those of you that don't want to waste time with learning all those goofy commands that stand alone recording units require.

Comment

I just got a Korg Pandora PXR4. $299 from musicians fiend, and it has amp modeling, 4 track recording with up to 32 V-tracks, can record two channels at one... etc. I can't get enough of it. I like it much better than recording with a PC because it is so much easier. With a computer I have always run into weird problems. I use my PC for PC stuff and my 4 track for recording. Then I can dump my songs onto my puter. No, it doesn't sound as good as my real guitar rig, but for $300 I can plug in at 4am and record a riff that I've got in my head without waiting for tubes to warm up and trying to run my power amp at 1/4 of 1% power and dicking around with all my rackmount stuff. If you've got the $300, go for it!!

Comment

Working...
              X