I wanna be toneless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna be toneless

...that is, I want to dump my tone knob. But if I do, would this change the actual tone of my guitar. Meaning, would a guitar with 1 volume sound the same as if I had a volume/tone but kept the tone at 10?

thanks for any input.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

It will sound the same as before, but with the tone kept at 11.

Comment

It wont sound exactly the same, unless you use active pickups or an EMG Anusburner or something like that or you are using a no-load-pot.
      The effect is more audible with 250kOhm pots, it is very subtle with 500kOhm pots, but nevertheless its there.
      The sound will be slightly sharper with a somewhat more pronounced attack. If you notice the difference at all, its very likely that you percieve it as an improvement in terms of the guitar sounding more open than before.

I use a 250kOhm no-load tone pot in many of my guitars. On 10 it has an infinite resistance, which means it places no load on the circuit as if there was no tone pot installed. From 9 downwards it works like a normal 250kOhm pot. The effect is very audible.
      Last edited by max; 05-29-2007, 12:23 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Tone knobs are the devil! Remove it at once!
        Scott

Comment

i like them, it helps when you want a silky smooth cleans...........
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

For me that depends on the guitar. On my SL-1 BCS for example a tone knob makes no sense at all, since the clean sounds arent exactly the best anyway. Its basically best to just unsolder the fucker. With a Fender strat on the other hand, its good to have a no-load pot so you can put a load in the circuit for nice clean sounds and take it out again when playing real music.
            Last edited by max; 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM.

Comment

so, is there any compensation for the no-tone-knob in guitars that do not come with one? For ex. the COW sig model has only a vol knob if I am not wrong.
              Sam

Comment

Tone knobs are not used, by most of us. Come on, you may say you use it sometimes... but let's be honest, it's just there for tradition.

I believe they're useless, unless you play jazz or something like that, and if you do, you'd probably have a strat or a les paul for that.

Comment

Here is some info on the no-load pot.

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/CPNL1

joe...
                  www.godwentpunk.com
                  www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by LEOKV2 View Post
                    Tone knobs are not used, by most of us. Come on, you may say you use it sometimes... but let's be honest, it's just there for tradition.

I believe they're useless, unless you play jazz or something like that, and if you do, you'd probably have a strat or a les paul for that.
                    I use the tone-knob often. When I am tapping and during pull-offs, with the EMG-81, I find that the tone all the way up gives the notes a great sustain and bite...and its great for pinch harmonics. For rhythm I tame the 81's treble, but rolling it off a little using the tone-knob. Works great!!
                    Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      I use the tone-knob often. When I am tapping and during pull-offs, with the EMG-81, I find that the tone all the way up gives the notes a great sustain and bite...and its great for pinch harmonics. For rhythm I tame the 81's treble, but rolling it off a little using the tone-knob. Works great!!
                      +1
                      Its good to have a tone knob with the EMG 81, in fact I have it on 6 or so most the time. You cant compare Tone knobs in an active circuit with those in a passive system, though. They're totally different.

Comment

I never liked Tone knobs, what a waste of space...
                        Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                        Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                        Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

I Disconnect em everytime, even in my Les Paul....
                          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Can you just 'rip out the wire'?
                            Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                            Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                            Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                              so, is there any compensation for the no-tone-knob in guitars that do not come with one? For ex. the COW sig model has only a vol knob if I am not wrong.
                              You can either wire the guitar to have a tone pot only (that would be a pretty funny mod ). Or you can put in a concentric pot that uses a split knob, like this one:

Link

That will let you have vol and tone controls without having to drill the guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X