Custom Set neck Build (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Set neck Build (pic heavy)

Been really busy here lately with inlay stuff. I have some cool custom stuff that may (or may not) hang at the summer NAMM show….the jury is still out on that. I have a few other guitar related “irons in the fire” as well. I’ll post more about that when the time comes.

I thought I would document a set neck build. I was inspired by Mr. & Mrs. Budman’s re-fin post, so I thought I’d share as well. Some of you may have seen a post I started a while back on this in the “Non-Jackson” section. I changed the body wood & the body shape, so I decided to start a new thread in this section. This is a custom piece “keeper”, so it may change slightly along the way. Here is what I have going:

1 piece Mahogany body w/ carved top
    Figured Maple / Purple Heart / Sapele Mahogany set neck w/ Voloute
    Macassar Ebony FB with Oak leaf & Acorn inlay at the 12th (12” rad)
    25.5” scale w 27 frets (#149 fret wire)
    Gold hardware
    TOM Bridge w/Quick change tailpiece
    1 11/16 brass nut & Gotoh tuners
    Pups TBD
    Satin Tru-Oil finish

The body shape is a design I drew up a while back based on an offset violin. I’ve seen other builders use a similar symmetric shape. This one has an extended upper horn that reaches to the 12th fret.The neck will be flat like an RG, but a fair amount thicker. With the 1 piece mahog body, and the combinations of neck wood, this thing should be a tone monster. At this point I’m over half way done. Here are some pics:

Neck wood glued up:

Here is the tapered neck in the mill with the TR channel cut. I had just put a 13 degree angle to the HS:

The neck after adding wood for the HS width:

The body in 2 stages of shaping:

Nice tight, square tennon fit:

Some neck shaping pics:

Voluptuous Voloute!:

Ready to insert the TR & glue on the FB:

Close up of the inlay:

Who likes figured maple?

Drilling holes for the bridge & tailpiece. The neck is not glued in at this point.

I’m at a point where I have to decide what to do for the pups. 1 hum?…2? If it’s 2, I have to cut the FB off straight at the 25th fret. Not sure if I want to loose the extra frets. Here is a pic of where I’m at as of today:

Last edited by HuntinDoug; 05-28-2007, 02:05 PM.
    >>--HuntinDoug-->

For what it is worth, I would go with one pup. The fretboard hits the cutouts perfectly and that angle looks great.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Looks great. I agree with 1 hum. Probably too late, but I think an archtop would go great with the violin theme.

How long until we see HuntinDoug guitars competing with Jackson's CS?

Comment

It's never too late. That's a thick bod. I'll bet ya he does it with the skill he has.
        I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Looks great. I agree with 1 hum. Probably too late, but I think an archtop would go great with the violin theme.

How long until we see HuntinDoug guitars competing with Jackson's CS?

+1 1 Hum and a archtop! A beauty!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

1 Hum and a Slanted single.
            Nice Job!!

Comment

That's kinda what I was thinkin'. He could drop a single-sized hum in the slanted's slot, like a rail or something. Then it would be dual hum.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by HuntinDoug View Post
                1 piece Mahogany body w/ carved top
                i think it is supposed to be a carved top.....
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

nice work. keep the photos coming with progress.

Comment

I routed a single hum, and began to carve the top. I think I'll keep it as a 1 hum. I won't be able to do much more til the weekend. Unfortunately...actual work comes first. I'll post a few more pics tomorrow.
                    >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Looking good Doug!!!
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I stayed up late last night carving the top. I'ts still gonna need a few more hours of carve time. Actually, I'm thinking I may carve the back as well...I dunno. Here is the latest:

>>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

I don't see any neck angle. Are you going to recess the bridge?
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

to give neck angle, all he would have to do it tilt the head stock back when he is glueing it in right. given that there is a tilt in the pocket.
                            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Another late night carving on the top...here is the result:

The neck doesnt have any angle. The bridge studs will be slightly recessed.
                              >>--HuntinDoug-->

Comment

Working...
                              X