Sanding the back of a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding the back of a neck

I don't need any advise on how to do it, I have that pretty well covered. I just can't bring myself to do it. The guitar in question is my 81 Les Paul. She has a fair amount of battle scars, but overall, very decent shape. The neck is sticky as all hell, no matter how often I clean/polish it. My question is, should I sand off the finish (Zakk Wylde it)? I know it is my neck, and ultimately my decision, but I am looking for some input. Thanks.

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Sanding the back of a neck

Hey, if it feels that bad, do it. Just make sure you put some sealer or something on the bare wood when you've finished sanding it, or the wood will get stained in no time flat.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Try just scuffing the top layer of nitro off of it with some 2000 grit paper (Auto Zone, WalMart (Automotives) )
      Nitro does tend to get tacky as it ages, probably due to its ability to absorb small amounts of sweat and such. Over time, it all builds up and becomes one with the nitro.

Or so I've heard [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I agree with Newc, but I would use 600 and not get too much finer as you don't want to polish it again. I did just that on my GMPs and it worked out perfect.
        I've played a couple of LPs with sanded necks and even as much as I prefer raw oiled necks (most of my Soloists got the necks stripped), the mahogony feels a little too rough just due to the pores in the wood. Its a "big pore" wood and all the sanding in the world won't smooth it out enough.
        However, if you have a maple necked Paulie, then strip that bad boy! JMO!

Comment

yep ive done that just used 000 steel wool, but i guess fine sandpaper would do the same thing. the finish could probably even be wetsanded back to look glossy again but i never tried. plus like Chuck said raw or oiled finish Mahogany will have pores which doesnt feel right & get ugly & dirty real fast, plus i dont like the stabilty of mahogany necks to begin with so oil finishing one, may cause problems down the line.

Comment

I've got a late 70s L.P.all the finish is worn off the body and neck.The neck feels great with no finish at all.I guess if I refinish it I won't refinish the raw neck.Its as smooth as my 87 san dimas plate jackson/oiled neck and feels just as nice.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The LP is an '81, so I *believe* that it has a maple neck. There are a couple of nicks, and the wood looks fairly light, not dark, like mahogany would be. Is there any way that I can be sure that I have a maple neck? If I could be sure, I would prefer to just strip the whole thing...

I may just try the fine sandpaper/steel wool method. Right now, after playing for a few minutes, the stickiness is really a pain in the ass to deal with.

Comment

Is model is your 81 L.P.? When you start sanding it should be easy to see what wood its made of.My 77 is mahogony as was my 84 but I'm sure some had maple necks.Let us know what it is when you find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Metalcop:
                  The LP is an '81, so I *believe* that it has a maple neck. There are a couple of nicks, and the wood looks fairly light, not dark, like mahogany would be. Is there any way that I can be sure that I have a maple neck? If I could be sure, I would prefer to just strip the whole thing...

I may just try the fine sandpaper/steel wool method. Right now, after playing for a few minutes, the stickiness is really a pain in the ass to deal with.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Can you see the grain? If so, you should be able to tell the difference between mahogany and maple. Maple has very smooth looking, if any grain at all. Mahogany looks “stringy” for lack of a better term.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

can U see seams, wasnt the maple a 3 peice & the Mah. one.

Comment

Thats a Roger. If its Maple, its a three piece.

Comment

If you're worried about sanding the finish off your neck and dramatically altering your guitar, you don't have to go that far to get the satin feel. Just use a green "Scotch Brite" pad to take off the top layer of finish, and you should be set (neck is still finished, just shine is taken off).

Comment

I do believe that it is a three piece neck, but I am at work now, so I will have to double check when I get home. Interesting note: you can see the seams in the face of the guitar, and you can tell that there is some major flameage underneath the black paint. To answer someone else's question my LP is a custom, I plan on adding an update to the Les Paul Thread in the 'Other Manufacturers' section. Thanks a bunch for everybodies help. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

i definitely wouldn't sand it down to bare wood, but quicksilver's got it; just scuff the clear topcoat and you'll get the feel you're wanting.

sully

who belives that messing with an lpc is bad bad bad [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I was at R&S guitarworks today and they mentioned that you can see the lines in the back of the headstock very easily if it is a 3 piece maple neck.Just to confirm what was already posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X