Trem-setter pro/cons???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem-setter pro/cons???

It's probably a little late for this since I already ordered the trem-setter, but I was hoping you guys could let me know what to expect. What are the good and bad things about them? If anyone has any installation tips that would help also. Thanks in advance for your feedback [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Re: Trem-setter pro/cons???

Check this out this was good review and discussion http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=7;t=000737
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

I personaly like the trem-setter.....though it has to be said that I am not a big trem user per se'.....for me they are a great solution to the inherent palm mute issue with Floyds.

I think that the trem-setter "cleans-up" the warble factor of the Floyd when bending strings and gives the notes a "rounder" sound...at least to me.

It also seems to help out with changing strings, as you don't have to worry about losing your bridge in the recess (if so equipped) or worry about the possibility of marring your guitar if you use something to "prop" up the Floyd.

Is it for everybody...no....but then again, no singular guitar product is for everybody. What sounds good to me may sound horrible to you, and vice versa.

Installing the trem-setter and setting it up to your specifications is relatively easy, but I encourage you to take your time...measure twice, drill once mentality....and if you install it on a vintage guitar....well....realize you may be effecting the re-sale value to the "purists".

These are my opinions, and mine alone. I am not endorsing the trem-setter in any way, shape, or form to use or not use it...it works for me...

Comment

I think the coolest plus with the Tremsetter is the ability to drop-D tune your Floyd, just by adjusting the low E fine tuner. A-D-G-B-E stays in tune.
        Also the feel of the guitar is much more hard tail like when bending. NO, fitting 5 monster springs instead does not give the same effect.

/Henrik
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          Also, if you pick hard and get warble, put 4 or 5 springs on your Floyd and don't worry about getting a Trem-Setter or WD Tremolo Stabilizer. [/QB]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Why mess with 4 or 5 springs vice a trem-setter??? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] What is so bad about a trem-setter?

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
            I personaly like the trem-setter.....though it has to be said that I am not a big trem user per se'.....for me they are a great solution to the inherent palm mute issue with Floyds.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you're that heavy-handed when using a Floyd, you really need to work on your technique. All you need to do is lightly rest your plam over the pivot post... there's no need to apply heavy pressure to knock the thing out of tune. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also, if you pick hard and get warble, put 4 or 5 springs on your Floyd and don't worry about getting a Trem-Setter or WD Tremolo Stabilizer.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was thinking of getting a trem setter but instead moved up to using 4 springs and now I wouldnt think of adding anything else to my guitar ... this week.
              I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I like the way it works but I dislike the way it feels. The detent at the tremsetter "0" point can be felt when using the trem. I didn't like the way it felt. I also am not a fan of the mods that need to be done to a guitar to install it. Using the correct number of springs along with blocking a full floater so that it can only be pushed down is a better solution IMHO.

Comment

But, it's not the same thing. A Trem-setter is designed to return the trem to zero every time. It also helps cure tuning problems when bending strings. More springs alone won't do that.

Comment

One of my guitars came with a Tremsetter. I've looked at the installation instructions, and it looks like it was put in right. While not a huge problem, the guitar has a weird resonance on some notes--almost like the springs are rattling. FWIW
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

I'm assuming it's safe to say that if you are not a big trem user then the trem-setter might not be too bad. I am not that into using my trem so I think I am going to be happy with it...besides what I am hoping to get from it is easier tuning and less hassle when changing strings. Hopefully I am satisfied, Thanks for the feedback!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Model 88:
                        Check this out this was good review and discussion http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...c;f=7;t=000737
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks man that helped alot!!!!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom:
                          effecting
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I have never used the Tremsetter, but I have used the WD Stabilizer. It made a lot of difference on a Samick that had a POS licensed floyd. I only had to tune twice after changing strings, instead of the 8 to 12 times it took before. It did make the trem stiffer to use. The bridge would move if a string was bent excessively. The only modification involved was replacing one of the two adjusting screws in the cavity and installing a self-adhesive felt pad on the trem block. Has anyone used both and can let me know how the WD Stabilizer compares to the Tremsetter? The WD appears to be 2/3 the price. Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a tremsetter in my Jem when I got rid of it. I actually loved having it in there. Much more stable, better bending and as was said earlier, the ability to go to drop D without retuning everything else.

I plan on getting one for my DK2LE when it comes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X