floyd rose nut placement on import charvel neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd rose nut placement on import charvel neck

i built 2 charvel guitars,and took the first one to a very good guitar shop to have a floyd rose r-4 locking nut installed.both guitars have the import charvel maple board pointy necks,with regular nuts.it came back with the nut installed in place of the regular nut,secure,but with a gap at the front side from the headstock angle.it works fine,but seeing the gap drives me crazy.should the neck be milled down further to provide a full mating surface,and then i was thinking a wood shim to bring the locking nut back up,or should a different locking nut have been used and placed in front of the origional nut? and,would you consider the installation that was done correct,or should i return the guitar?also,the locking nut is rear mounted,for info...

Re: floyd rose nut placement on import charvel neck

There should have been a little wooden "shelf" made for the nut to sit flat on and flush to the end of the fingerboard.
    I'd talk to another tech and find somebody to do it right.

Comment

the earlier necks are different than the one pictured.the factory necks with locking nuts have an extended neck joint allowing more space before the downward angle of the headstock.the shelf is there,but the front 1/3 of the locking nut goes past the edge of the shelf...if you rout down the shelf wide enough to match the locking nut,it will be a significant amount too low.i also have an assortment of locking nuts,the shaller r-4 seems to be the tallest i can find,and also matches the nuts on my factory charvel jacksons.hasn't anybody ran into this??

Comment

the earlier necks are different than the one pictured.the factory necks with locking nuts have an extended neck joint allowing more space before the downward angle of the headstock.the shelf is there,but the front 1/3 of the locking nut goes past the edge of the shelf...if you rout down the shelf wide enough to match the locking nut,it will be a significant amount too low.i also have an assortment of locking nuts,the shaller r-4 seems to be the tallest i can find,and also matches the nuts on my factory charvel jacksons.hasn't anybody ran into this??

Comment

Working...
        X