EMG pickup problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pickup problem

It could be a bad pot. I had a 25K tone pot on an EMG-equipped guitar that went crappy - when turning the knob to the full-on position it went past that point to a lower output. It could be a similar phenomenon with te volume on yours, or maybe just a wiring error. You'd think the shop would test it out plugged in before returning it to you. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Also, make sure the cable jack is pushed all the way in the guitar. I've heard more than one person having weird output issues with the cable only partially plugged in. I think this happens a lot cos the Switchcraft stereo jack is very rigid, especially a new one, and they may only push the tip in half-way.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Re: EMG pickup problem

Originally posted by MetalMedal II:
    Also, make sure the cable jack is pushed all the way in the guitar. I've heard more than one person having weird output issues with the cable only partially plugged in. I think this happens a lot cos the Switchcraft stereo jack is very rigid, especially a new one, and they may only push the tip in half-way.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, that's my suggestion, also. When I got my first guitar with EMGs, I had the volume/output, slight crackling sound problem, and the slight distortion coming through on my clean channel. Someone on another board tipped me off that it was probably the cable not in the jack all the way. Sure enough, it was! I pushed the cable in until it clicked, but there was still about 1/4" sticking out which I didn't realize, as the jack is pretty tight. I pushed it in until it clicked a second time and was all the way in... no problem since. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Doublechecked all jacks,all the way in.Also,when I touch the volume knob I am getting like a ground hum.I would like to troubleshoot this because I believe that is the best way to learn.Thanks.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe you need a new battery? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] If not, then I've got no other clue except to take it back to the tech.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yup, a bad battery can produce a raspy, thin tone - might be worth checking out.

Also check their wiring and compare it to the EMG wiring diagrams (www.emginc.com). Make sure the bridge grounding cable is disconnected.

'bane

Comment

Since you're not scared by soldering, you can do it by yourself. It's not that difficult. I never let anyone work on my guitars. Thought of refreting scares me to death. If you do it by yourself:
            1) You learn something new and useful
            2) You can help others in the future
            3) You prevent others from doing something bad with your guitar
            4) You save money for more equipment
            I remember installing my first EMG, it took me a couple hours! Now it's down to minutes.

Comment

I need to check the ground.I am at work now but I will check tomorrow.I know there was a ground that he removed from the claw.I am also going to keep reading this stuff until I get it down.

Comment

DO NOT REATTACH THE GROUND. EMG's don't require a bridge ground.

Comment

EMG pickup problem

Hey guys,I had a shop wire up an EMG 81/60 combo in my guitar.I picked it up and played it without an amp just to make sure there was minimal fret buzz.I brought it home,hooked it up and there are some serious problems.I have almost no control over the volume,even when it is on "0"it sounds like it's on 8,in other words I cannot mute the sound at all.Also,with a clean signal it breaks up on like "1-4"on the volume knob,then gets clear as a bell above that.The proper 25K pots were installed along with a stereo jack.I called the shop and of course the guy apologized,but then started to say maybe it was a characteristic of the pups.I told him no way.They are going to fix it of course butI am pretty mad I didn't learn to do it myself.I am handy with a soldering gun from doing car audio and I just bought a book to learn this stuff.Sorry so long,but does anyone know what this is?

Comment

Also,I forgot to add I have been going to these guys for years and never had a problem.They have installed active pups for me before.Maybe a new "tech"?

Comment

O.K.,took the guitar back up there and got it fixed.The guy took one look at it and said"probably a bad pot".Then he looked again and said he thinks it was missing a jumper between the tone and volume pots.Did it in like 1 minute and that was it.I sat and talked with the guy for a while and he seemed real cool,explained a few things for me.Now I will study wiring diagrams and try it myself in another guitar,at least I have something to go by.Thanks for the tips guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X