Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adder Plus Pickups

Okay,

I have noticed a few members who have gave these pickups very good reviews. Please tell me more about them! I really want to try something different.

Re: Adder Plus Pickups

Tim,

I've probably been the most vocal about them. I've got the Persuader Lead Custom in the bridge and Persuader Lead in the neck (of my SL2H). These things just kill. They're VERY HIGH, VERY CLEAN output pickups. I've said before that they seem to have a load-balancing output to them, meaning that under full amp distortion conditions, you can hear each of the strings. Although other pickups make the same claim, *nothing* compares to these. Oh, they're passive, so no fussing with batteries. Finally, tone-wise, they're SO musical sounding, unlike other pickups in the high output, designed-for-metal category.

Try 'em - if you don't like 'em, Mel @ Adder Plus will give you a full refund.

With all due respect to EMG players, I wish some of them here on the JCF would break down and give them a shot - I know there would be some converts [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

I would definitely not hesitate to try swapping out my EMGs with the APCs, but I have no idea what their prices are like. What's their website address? Google keeps giving me a non-English page.

Comment

http://www.adderplus.com/prod01.htm

Not much in the way of info here but they have an email address and phone number. Contact them and get a brochure.

Comment

Are they the same size as EMG's? The reason I ask is usually you have to open the pickup cavity a tad to fit a EMG in. How are they in respect to getting different tones when you turn the volume on your guitar down? I usually don't like super high output pickups. Do these overdrive an amp much?

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete:
            With all due respect to EMG players, I wish some of them here on the JCF would break down and give them a shot - I know there would be some converts [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've been meaning to try them out for a long time, but I can't get hold of a damn single one over here. Perhaps you'd be willing to buy some and send them to me? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete:
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Eh, aren't these kind of pricy? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

sunbane, there's this site in Sweden, but last time i emailed them, they said they didn't carry the APC stuff anymore (6 months ago). But the link to the swedish site is still active on the APC site, so that's weird. Give them a call and let us know! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

APC Sweden

/Henrik
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

J1, I talked to them over half a year ago, and they said they stopped being an APC dealership, and had sold off all their leftover pickups to another dealer. I tracked down that dealer and called them up, but they only had a few strat and tele replacements left, and no plans to import any more of them. Seems they just didn't sell here in Sweden...

To bad, I'd really like to try them out.

'bane

Comment

Guys,

The APC website is sadly lacking in information. Sound clips and more details about each pickup model would be helpful. But then, it seems that Mel is perfectly happy keeping a low profile.

As mentioned, the 2 pups I have installed in my SL2H are VERY high output, but CLEAN output. They overdrive my Marshall 30th Anny VERY nicely.

They're definitely designed for high-gain amp situations. Played through the clean channel of my amp, they're OK - nothing special. Certainly not single coil crisp, and I've heard other humbuckers that produce a crisper clean tone. But through the 30th's crunch and lead channels - pure heaven!

Regarding fitment, they fit *perfectly* in the mounting rings where the stock Duncans were installed. I did, however, have to route about 1/8 inch out of the bottom of the neck cavity to get the pickup to sit low enough in the body and provide enough clearance for the strings. These pups are taller than "normal."

I *could* put together some sound clips. It's just that you'll be hearing it through my amp, an SM57, through to a Korg D1600 DAW. In other words, my setup may produce clips that may not appeal to you, but would nevertheless be exactly what you're looking for through your own rig. No promises, as I'm sadly lacking in time these days...
                    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Oh, forgot to mention price. Honestly, I can't remember what I paid for them - I *think* they were around $70-80 each.

Comment

I pieced together a translation of the Swedish APC page a while back, for those who are interested in hearing the product descriptions (I only bothered with the humbuckers and the "Humphree" singlecoils though:

INTER-PHASE PICKUPS give you brilliance and clarity. Some models have high or very high output signal with preserved treble, which so far has been impossible for passive pickups. You can adjust INTER-PHASE PICKUPS very close to the strings without having the magnetic fields affect the vibrations of the strings (no "string pull"). You simply get better sustain. When doing powerful string bending, you never run the risk of ending up outside the receptive area of a magnetic pole, since the magnetic fields are spread out over the entire length of the pickup. INTER-PHASE PICKUPS are quiet and hum free and some models (Humphree) are even very quiet and very hum free. These pickups are offered with a range of different tones, from the traditional single coil sound, to the most sought-after humbucking sound of the 50's.

IMPORTANT: Some bridges have very wide string spacing. Make sure you have at least 7mm between your 1st string (E1) and the edge of your pickups for a balanced tone reception with APC Single Coil Pickups.

HUMPHREE - Single Coils

Models

100 - Virtually insensitive to electric and magnetic interference. When you demand a totally clear, balanced "true single coil tone without the noise". Recommended position: Neck/middle

200 - Has the quietness and clarity of the 100, but is calibrated to give a little stronger output with emphasis on the mid-range register. Recommended position: Neck/middle

300 - "Hot, full range HUMPHREE" gives you maximum attack and sustain, while it brings out the harmonic overtones and a high output signal. Recommended position: middle/bridge

400 - "Mr. Punchy". Extremely high output signal and low hum level makes this pickup the choice of the pro's. Perfect for both clean and distortion. Recommended position: bridge

DUAL COIL HUMBUCKERS

All pickups are built with 4 shielded leads for split coil, phase control and series/parallell operation. Specify white or black covers when ordering.

Models

Persuader SC - Humbucking in single coil format. Powerful, "punchy" and rich with overtones. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead - Powerful "over the edge" signal. Designed specifically for the lead guitarist. Recommended position: bridge

Persuader Lead Custom - Full highs, strong middle and full lows. Similar to Persuader Lead, but with stronger lows. Recommended position: bridge

Felony X - "This is it, we did it!" The sought-after 50's humbucking sound is here. Thick and clear for everything from blues to metal. Recommended position: neck

Malice - Especially designed for those who want a "phatter" humbucking sound. Classically tight response with strong mids and a loud output signal. Recommended position: neck

Syrinx - Like Malice, but with a finely balanced magnetic structure, resulting in a "medium output pickup" with prominent highs, thick bass and a "soft hang". (Note: Don't ask me what they mean with "soft hang". Sounds perverted. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ) Recommended position: neck
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Thanks eveyone! Yeah sound samples would be nice huh....

Comment

To those who are already using these APC pickups in their guitars, can you guys post pics of them??? thanx

Comment

Hey Sunbane,

What did you use to translate the Swedish APC site? There's some more of the site I'd like to read.
                              Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X