Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning

I'm just reading about this and am interested if anyone has any experience with it. The tuning is from low to high CGDAEG. I've been told that bending is pretty much impossible due to the high tension on the upper strings and the lower strings a super heavy mix of gauges.

Any insight on the pros/cons/wtfs of this method?

I'd say wtf first and then I'd say I want to hear what Fripp is doing with this.

he's come up with a few things in his time. but yeah the tight strings thing doesn't immediately get me all interested.
    the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

he says something about chords are played easier and scales are laid out in a more logical pattern or something. as for the high tensions...why not take his tuning down a step or two? that would relieve some tension im gonna look up a youtube vid of him if i can, see whats up.
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

As I recall he's not a big blues-guy so bending wouldn't be an issue. You could get insanely low action if you didn't bend.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

he doesn't need to bend, he has like 54 midi-guitar-synths and 67 processors, so he just presses the buttons if he wants to make bending sounds

that being said he always had some really weird tunings, and he does finger bends and vibrato on many KC tracks.
          "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I might try this dropped down a whole step to BFCGDF. Do you think I'd have any trouble because all the wacky string tension? My tech is going to think I've lost my mind.

Comment

I know i love my Adrian Legg Ovation tuning...
              low to high

DADGF#D Spiritual, and deep. Interesting too, to come
              up with standards... figuring out the chords in completely
              new areas.

Comment

i'll stick to standard, until i master it atleast.
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                X