Volume pot crackling right after I turn the guitar on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume pot crackling right after I turn the guitar on

I don't know what to make of this, right when I hook up the guitar and turn it on, and I max out the volume on the guitar, the amp makes this loud crackling noise (similar to when you pull the jack out with everything still on) there is no sound loss or anything, just this interference. it happens for the first 5 or 6 turns of the volume knob (usually when I just hit the highest limit of the volume pot) on the guitar then dies down and works fine. any ideas?

i haven't really tinkered with the insides too much, if anything there was a loose wire that connected the respective on/off toggle switch to the humbucker, and I re-soldered it exactly where it was, no excess solder or anything (and i don't think that problem anything to do with the volume pot)

any ideas would be appreciated it's a charvel model 6. thx in adv

It's dirty.
    You can blow it out with some compressed air and then use some tuner cleaner to clean the pot.
    -Rick

Comment

Be careful with the tuner cleaner! Someone here (Newc?) had it lift a large section of the finish - nasty lookin'.

Just need a little....
      750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
      Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

little problem guys, the particular pot is almost entirely obstructed by the guitars preamp circuit, which seems to be glued/attached to the body, so I can barely see about half of the potentiometer and no means of taking it out.

which part of the pot should be cleaned more specifically? I have pretty much no access to the wire/solder points of the pot, the only part thats somewhat accessible is the cylindrical part of the pot. any ideas? :S

Comment

I can't remember if the small pots in the Model 6 are totally sealed but anyways.... this should help you a bit..

You need some contact cleaner. Here's how it's used:

And this is the place where you spray the cleaner into the pot (red arrow):

It doesn't fix a worn out pot, though. If it still makes noises after this treatment, renew the pot.
          Last edited by jackson1; 06-04-2007, 06:07 AM.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

thanks loads for the help guys, jackson1; it wasn't completely sealed but there was a VERY tiny interval from which I could apply the tuner cleaner right behind the preamp. I ended up not doing it in the end because by the time I turned it on today, the problem seemed to have fixed itself and hasn't come back yet.

thanks lots again

Comment

Working...
            X