Bad pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad pickup?

I tested my bridge pickup with a multimeter and there wasn't a reading. Then I checked the neck and middle, both of those showing up on the meter. It still works though i have to turn up the volume higher than I normally did while going through the MT-2. Once the pedal is turned off, it is barely audible. Also, when switching over to the other pups, the output is much higher (normal). Is the bridge pickup bad? Can these just magically take a dump over night?

Re: Bad pickup?

Check the solder joints, or check that where the wiring goes through the body channels that it hasn't exposed the wires and shorted out. The way you describe the sound, it sounds like maybe only one coil is active, or your phase is messed up. It would be strange for a pickup to just go bad, since their aren't any moving parts.

Comment

The way you describe the sound, it sounds like maybe only one coil is active
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's how it sounded to me.

All the solder joints seem solid. I'll pull the whole thing and check it that way.

Comment

It could be a greounding issue too. Sometimes the briaded shield wire will get a stray strand and it touches something sles and kind of shorts out or looses voltage to bleed off. Check the ground and shield wiresont he bridge pup. Also check the switch maybe reverse the wires for both pups on the switch and see if the neck pup then gies bad. If it does then yo need a new switch or it has a grounding issue.
        Gil

Comment

Well, I removed the pup and tested it. Still no reading. Cut the wires up a little and re-stripped them, still nothing. Time for a new one, I guess. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

What brand and model pickup is it?

Comment

It's a Jackson J-85.

Comment

I found the problem. It seems there was some sort of short or break at the point where the lead was bent to fit in the cavity. Since there is plenty of lead, I just cut it off clear of that point and will solder it back. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK:

looses
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK:

looses
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You sir, have gotten lazy! I remeber when you did more than just point and laugh. The people demand their correcting Ron back.

Comment

Originally posted by PaddoK:
                      remeber
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How's that? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Ironic, but you still didn't correct me [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Really bugs ya, huh? [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Sorry my finger has a speach inpedament. Ive tried taking him to speach therapy classes but it didnt seem to be doing anthing so we decided that wasnt right at this juncture.
                            Maybe when he all growedup he can back to schoolin and do some learnin.
                            Gil

Comment

Working...
                            X