How to remove TOM stud inserts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove TOM stud inserts?

Just got a Schaller and Gibson TP6 fine-tuning tailpieces. I can't fit either on my Jackson JJP or Hamer Special because the stud sizes don't match. Not that big a deal, as both units come with their own studs and inserts. I just need to know the easiest way to take existing inserts out of the body and install the new ones. The Schaller inserts and studs are actually smaller and thinner than the old ones, and none of the studs will fit into the inserts of the existing ones, so they'll definitely need to come out. Should I make any attempt at all at this or just take it to a tech?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: How to remove TOM stud inserts?

You want the Allparts universal anchor (stud) puller, p/n LT 0843-0000 for $30 plus shipping. Its on page 4 of the "tools" section.
    http://www.allparts.com/.

You put the big round thing over the insert, select the right bolt, stick the washer on the bolt, pass the bolt thru the big round thing and thread bolt into the insert. Then use the wrench to 'tighten' the bolt. The insert will be pulled out and up inside the big round thing.

Or you could create your own with the right size socket and some washers and the right size screw. Be sure to protect the bodywood around the insert.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, man! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

$30 for something you can make at home out of loose parts, or at least with stuff you can get at WalMart at 3 am? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ok, WalMart has these generic screwdriver sets - they've got rubberized/motorcycle-style handles and feature interchangeable bits. There's one that comes with a little round rubber bit holder, and it *should* be on the shaft of the screwdriver in the package. That rubber thing is what you want. Put it over the post (after you've unscrewed the post almost all the way) and get a pair of needle-nosed pliers - put the pliers under the rim of the post (thumbwheel) and pop the insert up [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Put some tape around the plier tips to keep from scratching the metal.

Newc
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey, thanks, Newc! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] I guess I'll go to Walmart tomorrow, there's a new one in the area anyway. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Might as well do it the cheapest way possible.

Comment

Can you use the same screwdriver deal to remove Floyd Rose studs?
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yup, but you need washers (like the ones found under knobs and jacks - but you need a bunch cuz they're so thin).

With the rubber thingy, I forgot to mention that if the post has an integrated thumbwheel/ring, then you should run it through the rubber thing into the insert and crank the post into the insert to make it loosen up a bit, then unscrew the post enough to get the pliers under it. You might have to compress the rubber thingy a whole lot before the insert gets loose (it was hammered into the hole, after all), but going slow like that should protect against finish chipping.

As for Floyd posts, if there's not enough lip on the post to grip the washer, you may have to crank it all the way down and then keep turning to strip the hole out a bit, then back the other way to raise the post so you can get the pliers/rubber thingy under it.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I just took a piece of heavy cloth (to protect the posts) and used a set of pliers to pull the bushings out.

Comment

Of course, you could just buy some studs that fit your existing anchors. Check it out: the anchors are probably either 5/16-24 or 8 x 1.25. If the spacing is the same, it's better to use your old anchors if at all possible. Allparts also sells loose anchors for just this reason.

Comment

I've removed floyd bushings from solid bodies by using a good set of pliers [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Granted I didnt care if I screwed up the post or not. Some of them come out pretty easily, once I had to actualy stand on the body to get enough force to get em outta there These were project parts w/o necks on them so it wasn't a big deal.
                    shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                    X