Guitar humming problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar humming problem

I noticed that my guitar is humming quite a lot so i thought maybe its because the grounding isn't working will or somethings wrong with the wiring.
    I opened the backplate of the guitar and found out that if i put my finger on the middle volumepot the humming is alot less (see crappy picture & arrow). Is there something i can do to fix it permanently?

Edit: it also stops when i touch metal plate where i plug in the cable and don't touch the strings. Then it's completely silent. When i touch the strings while touching that plate there's a little hum...

Last edited by SlasZ; 05-21-2007, 01:10 PM.

Seems to me like it is the grounding, and you're basically grounding it when you're touching it. Is it loose on the pot too? (Can't see too well in the pic)
    You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Is the ground on your spring claw intact?
      Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
        Seems to me like it is the grounding, and you're basically grounding it when you're touching it. Is it loose on the pot too? (Can't see too well in the pic)
        There's nothing loose on the pot. Right below the arrow there's a screw with a metal fin that connects the wires for the grounding i think, and it goes to the springs. And yes JacksonWarrior, there's a wire attached to them, properly soldered (as far as i can tell).
        What i don't understand is if it's not properly grounded, what exactly makes it go to the ground? Is it when you touch the backplate or the strings?

Comment

Could be a bad solder joint, but another thing that can cause problems is a ground loop. It's always best to have a straight path to ground, or to have all the components' ground wires come in radially to one point, then to the jack. The more complex the wiring in the guitar, the easier it is to accidentally create a completed circle of ground wires (a loop) which will act as an antenna for any interference.

Comment

My DK2 used to hum even if all the wires are intact. Once I switched to EMG's its quiet. Get some shielding foil and cover up all the electronics or at least the inside of the back cover.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              Could be a bad solder joint, but another thing that can cause problems is a ground loop. It's always best to have a straight path to ground, or to have all the components' ground wires come in radially to one point, then to the jack. The more complex the wiring in the guitar, the easier it is to accidentally create a completed circle of ground wires (a loop) which will act as an antenna for any interference.
              +1

This is how I wire all my guitars ...
              It's called a star point ground.

Comment

^wow. Just, wow!! Did you take extra steps to keep the cavity so clean or was it like that from the factory?
                Sam

Comment

It's only humming becuase it doesn't know the words....sorry.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                    ^wow. Just, wow!! Did you take extra steps to keep the cavity so clean or was it like that from the factory?
                    Thanks for the compliment ... I'm just really "anal" when it comes to detal.
                    That particular guitar was a custom Tele I built for someone else.

Comment

what didn't you ground out buddy......... emgs are quite because they don't need a ground point, also i wouldn't exactly consider EMGs quite.
                      "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                      X