Tuning 6 string to 7 string

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning 6 string to 7 string

I'm going to try to tune my KV2 to a B E A D G B tuning, is there something i should watch or do to get it to play right? I imagine adjusting the truss rod & the springs, and using thicker strings? Anything else i didn't think of?

You'll need a longer neck for it to work properly. IMO, get a barritone or a COW 7string
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
      You'll need a longer neck for it to work properly. IMO, get a barritone or a COW 7string
      umm... Cow 7-string has a 25.5" scale. As does the KV2. As does most Ibanez RG 7 strings.

It will work dude, as long as you set the axe up accordingly. Chances are you won't even need to adjust the neck or spring tension if you go with the right string gauge.

Comment

The point is that tuning your guitar properly would be very difficult, depending on how much space you have on your bridge's saddles, on the neck and strings... you should try with really thick string, something like 0.12 - 0.60. I used this gauge when I used to play Carcass and Entombed stuff, but with Ibanez guitars (with lo pro edges)... anyway the result was not so bad after all...
        Light Lies Trailer
        www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQC1CvcNQ6g

Six-Point Lead
        www.youtube.com/sixpointlead

www.myspace.com/sixpointlead

Comment

I do this with all of my guitars and so do a bunch of other players. You can absolutely do it with a regular, 25.5 scale (I have two KV-2's that I use it with) guitar and have no problems, and you don't need to use super heavy strings.

It will not hurt your guitar.

I use .12-.56 strings and they work really well. The tension on the unwound strings can take a little getting used to because it is definitely looser then normal. I suggest using a wound G (I guess it's a D string if you're turning down to B) string (.20-.22). It really isn't any different than setting up your guitar regularly. You might want to have a tech do it the first time to keep watch for any truss rod adjustments that need to be made and take it back to them a few days later, because the neck can tend to need another adjustment due to the low tension on the higher strings.

It will take a little bit to adjust your playing to the different tension, but you shouldn't have any major problems.

Comment

it is going to sound muddy, that is why longer scales are used for baritone tuning,but of course it will work. take it to a tech the first time around.
            "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

i would tune the G to a Gb, that way you can use all the same scale patterns, etc. just like on a normally tuned guitar. thats the way i have my RR3 set up, with 11-50 strings btw. yes, theyre light, and the G doesnt want to intonate fully, but its workable.
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                it is going to sound muddy, that is why longer scales are used for baritone tuning,but of course it will work. take it to a tech the first time around.
                Not true, it will sound just fine. The vast majority of 7 string guitars have a 25.5 scale. Think of it as a seven string with the high E removed. The whole baritone and scale length argument is total rubbish.

Comment

Ok so there's no real risk of damaging the neck? I might give it a shot myself then.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                    Not true, it will sound just fine. The vast majority of 7 string guitars have a 25.5 scale. Think of it as a seven string with the high E removed. The whole baritone and scale length argument is total rubbish.
                    Rubbish until you get a player or listener that hates floppy strings and/or muddy tones, like I do. I know exactly why I prefer Baritone sevens to standard scale ones, part of the reason being also that I play 12-52 in standard tuning and I´m not a fan of modifying hardware to accept strings >.070 unless necessary.

But yes, standard scale instruments can be tuned down to B, sometimes even A... But I´ve never heard one that I felt had enough definition below C, and I own both of the ones I found so far that C was ok on, and as soon as you go below A most players will WANT a longer scale

Comment

I think a lot of that just has to do with playing style. Maybe I've been playing tuned to B for so long that I've just naturally made the necessary adjustments in my fingers to avoid it sounding like ass I do notice that I have to make some adjustments when I play a guitar that's in standard tuning.

Comment

I think a lot of that just has to do with playing style. Maybe I've been playing tuned to B for so long that I've just naturally made the necessary adjustments in my fingers to avoid it sounding like ass I do notice that I have to make some adjustments when I play a guitar that's in standard tuning.
                        I agree to a certain point. But it´s not really an adjustment in the fingers (though changing your technique can help, no question), it´s simple applied physics.

A guitar with a shorter scale will have a larger amplitude of deflection when the string is struck compared to a guitar with a longer scale. as a result, the tone will be deeper, darker and "fatter", but will lack in definition of the fundamental note in comparison.

And up to a certain point, that´s a good thing. But beyond that point the fundamental gets crushed by over and undertones. Where that point is varies somewhat from person to person due to differences in hearing, as well as subjective differences in what a "good" sound is. And when you lose the fundamental, you lose the impression of music and it slowly divulges into random noise...

Seriously, if it were only a technique issue, we´d see a lot more 25.5" scale basses, or at least 30" scale. It´s not like bassists prefer to stretch farther

But again: It´s possible and not necessarily harmful, Devildriver for ex. also tune to B, on a 24 3/4" scale. It CAN sound good, I personally just usually don´t find that to be the case
                        Last edited by Zerberus; 05-21-2007, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Speaking of Devil Driver, I'll be seeing them tonight. I remember them putting on a good show.

But yeah, I hadn't though of the actual physics behind it--I suppose you're right. I do think that B is the lowest you can go on a standard scale guitar and still retain a good deal of definition and clarity. Even then, I have to strike the strings closer to the bridge than I do on a standard tuned guitar and it makes a definite difference. Like so many guitar related things, I guess it just boils down to personal preference and your individual set up. Cheers!

Comment

Well, I've been tuning my KV-2 for more than a year like you said. Although, I tune it to B standard, I believe it's different than converting it to sound like a 7 string.

I have no problems what so ever, I use 12-52 DR strings. And I had the tech set it up for that gauge. The lower strings work fine, just like if you were using regular 9-42. BUT, the high strings (12, etc) are a bit stiff to my taste. So I might be going with one of those LIGHT TOP, HEAVY BOTTOM sets, like 10-52. I will do this since I use the floyd quite a lot, to do diveboms, etc etc and I believe that with lighter top strings I will be able to get a more dynamic bend. Also, it will be better for vibrato and bending (with the fretting hand).

Comment

i know, if i didn't i would not be talking, i said it would, but like i said it is going to sound muddy and floppy, if it was rubbish then no one would have took the time to think of it.

but i think zeberus has taken the time to point your stupidity
                              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                              X