Need help on wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on wiring

Hi, I'm a new member but a long time lurker..

I am needing help with wiring on a Charvette guitar .
    It has one single ,one HB, one tone,one volume, and a three way switch.

I have looked online everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find any info or a schematic.

If anybody can help me out with a diagram or schematic It would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
    Before I get flamed about how cheap this guitar is, save it....
    I have had this guitar for nearly 11 years and it NEVER goes out of tune and I have yet to finad anybody that doesn't enjoy playing it!!
    as cheap as this is....it kicks ass and the neck on it is amazing!

Pete

Originally posted by Dr.Spank View Post
    Hi, I'm a new member but a long time lurker..

I am needing help with wiring on a Charvette guitar .
    It has one single ,one HB, one tone,one volume, and a three way switch.

I have looked online everywhere I can think of and can't seem to find any info or a schematic.

If anybody can help me out with a diagram or schematic It would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
    Before I get flamed about how cheap this guitar is, save it....
    I have had this guitar for nearly 11 years and it NEVER goes out of tune and I have yet to finad anybody that doesn't enjoy playing it!!
    as cheap as this is....it kicks ass and the neck on it is amazing!

Pete
    Does it not go out of tune because it has no strings?

If you've had it 11 years why didn't you make a diagram of the wiring before you took it out?

I find this site has very good schematics for various layouts http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics.shtml

Good luck and very nice colour on the Charvette
    Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Hey, there is nothing wrong with Charvettes. A couple people here have them and find they are great. Anyway, a good word of advice is to make a diagram or at least take a few pictures before working with the wiring (believe me I found this out the hard way ). As for the site link, I agree Seymour Duncan is the way to go when you need diagrams for pickups. I have used their diagrams several times and found them spot on and useful.

Comment

Originally posted by shobet View Post
        Does it not go out of tune because it has no strings?
        very nice....now that was funny!!

Originally posted by shobet View Post
        If you've had it 11 years why didn't you make a diagram of the wiring before you took it out?
        A few years back it started buzzin and popin , I was gonna rewire it myself but never seemed to have the time...so I took it to a shop and just had them fix it,,,,,well they fixed it alright but they had all the wiring rigged up really BAD...and i mean bad.. I'm no perfectionist, but I do like good,clean work, especially when I'm paying for it.....anyway..I have been telling myself i was gonna find the time and rewire it myself...well it started having a little hiss and buzz when plugged in so I decided now is the time to do it...I have the time and the patience now...LOL....

Oh and the color was done by me when I first bought it.....I was in my brothers Auto Body shop experimenting with colors and pearls and thats what came out....LOL... looks great "outdoors" when the sun hits it

Thanks for the link !!

Comment

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ringresources/

is also a great resource

Oh yeah, 1 month is "long time lurking" ?
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

ok...sorry for being a pain in the ass...but although that Seymore site is incredible....it doesn't have a set up that I need.... I see in the Tele section where it has "1 HB, 1 Single but then it has a push/pull.

and then in the other section the closest i could find is a HB with 2 singles.....

is this the same thing but just eliminate one of the singles???

sorry guys but i haven't messed with guitar wiring in a very long time so I am very out of practice.

oh...and My HB has red,white,blue, black wires....I don't see that combo on the others...why??

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              http://www.guitarelectronics.com/cat...ringresources/

is also a great resource

Oh yeah, 1 month is "long time lurking" ?

one month??? maybe from here at home...but at work I sit at computers all day dude and lurk many sites.... this site was refered to me by a friend of mine a pretty good while back. (he is also a lurker!)

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Spank View Post
                oh...and My HB has red,white,blue, black wires....I don't see that combo on the others...why??
                Thats a really odd color combo. On most Jackson/Charvel pickups, the green is hot, the red and white are soldered together, and the black/bare goes to ground IIRC.

ok...sorry for being a pain in the ass...but although that Seymore site is incredible....it doesn't have a set up that I need.... I see in the Tele section where it has "1 HB, 1 Single but then it has a push/pull.
                I would send their wiring department ( [email protected] ) an email and see if they can help.

Comment

Like RacerX said guitarelectronics.com by far the best when it comes to schematics.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

hey guys ...thanks for all your help... I think I just about got this...the only problem i am having is with this Charvel HB now... I can't seem to find anything that lists a "blue" wire....

My Charvel HB is
                    red,white,blue,black and bare.....bare goes to ground(obviously)

the only logical thing I can think of is this one here and use my blue wire as the green in this diagram...

I would just hate to blow something ....anybody have any suggestions??

or should I give this a go??

Comment

well that didn't work...lol....guess I'll wait till Tommorrow and give Charvel a call and see if they will help.

Anybody have the Customer Service Number???

Comment

To be honest, I don't think Charvel is going to be much help due to the age of the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                          To be honest, I don't think Charvel is going to be much help due to the age of the guitar.

If Charvel can't help ....who can???

You don't think they can help me with "their" product??

Comment

no, I don't think they will help even if they can.
                            anyway, you can do this yourself:

the HB consists of 2 single coils, hence 4 wires;
                            normally, the HB single coils are connected in series, meaning 2 wires will be soldered together;

step1 - determine which wires belong to which coil

setup your ohm meter to 20K range, and measure between 2 wires.
                            if you read a resistor value, they belong to the same coil

step 2 - determine coil polarity

setup your voltage meter, measure over the coil when tapping the poles with a screwdriver. if negative voltage is measured, reverse the probes and mark the wire connected to the red probe of the V meter

ok, normal HB effect means the 2 positive leads will be the pup leads, the other 2 will be soldered together; one of the positive leads will be the ground lead then

if this doesn't sound easy to do, you better bring your guitar to a luthier

Comment

Pebber...thanks for the tip.... I will try that tommorrow afternoon when I get home from work.... I should be able to manage that.

Comment

Working...
                              X