Pickup combinations - Input wanted - long post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup combinations - Input wanted - long post

I'm usually a Duncan or EMG guy, but I have been thinking about changing out 2 of my soloists (1987, 1988) for some variety in tone... 1 w/ Duncans, and 1 with DiMarzios. Currently they are stock Jackson pickups.
    My band plays progressive/power metal, and I have a rack set-up w/ a high gain pre-amp, as well as an ENGL Savage 120 for my main rig. I used to prefer distortion class pickups, but with this amp, it can be too much.
    I think JB's are OK, but I like a little more "push" on the signal going to the amp... Also, I like to use the neck pickup for soloing, as it smooths out the faster passages (think Petrucci's tone or Paul Gilbert or Bruce on the old Racer X stuff)
    I was hoping for suggestions on these combos.
    DiMarzio
    Double Whammy bridge w/ DiMeola neck
    Or new school stuff -
    Tone zone (sounds great in my other guitarists guitar, but I had it in one of mine - the tone was OK, but I did not like the response)
    Steve's special w/ Air Norton
    Or the Vai setup - an Evolution in the bridge
    Or I could go with the high output X2N Bridge w/ Dimeola neck or a Super Distortion, but would I lose artucluation, and what would be a good compliment?

As far as SD. I was thinking:
    Custom Custom bridge w/ Jazz or Holdsworth neck
    Full Shred w Jazz or Holdsworth neck
    Custom 5 w/Jazz or Holdsworth neck

Thanks for any input.

Re: Pickup combinations - Input wanted - long post

if you think the JB is ok, but want a little more push, then the Duncan Distortion is one step up from the JB, the Custom 5 is 1 step down, little less push. The Custom 5 falls tonally between the `59 and JB. Also, you may love the EMG 85, lots of push, but not as brigth sounding as the 81. I don`t use neck pickups, so I can`t help you there. Jack.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the DiMarzio Super Distortion, never tried it in the neck, though. I do, however, love the X2N matched up with a Super 2 in the neck of my Warrior. The Super 2 is the same output as the SD, just it has a little more treble, and it is a great match for the X2N. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      I've also got a Tone Zone in my string-thru Dinky with a J50N, but I may change it as I think it's kinda dark and heavy in the bass and low mids. Those are the only DiMarzios I've ever used. I do have a PAF Pro laying around that I want to try in a neck position (I hear they're also good in the bridge), but I don't have a guitar to put it in at the moment.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

i've found that the lower output pickups sound better to my ears. right now, my favorite bridge position duncans are the custom, custom customs, and custom 5s. i used to love the distortion the most, but i've found that you get a fuller tone from the lower output pickups. that said, if you go with the customs, it's not like you're getting clean only pickups. they scream, and the clarity is soooo much better.
        they can still get distorted as all hell,
        as you can hear...here! but they're nice and full sounding. i also think that a jb spaced well from the string is a great sounding pickup, too.

as far as the neck goes, i think that you'll like the jazz model... nice and warm, and clear.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wayne, I prefer Dimarzio pickups and I swear by the Air Norton and Steve's Special combination. I think it is a perfect combination for your style and tone.
          For Duncan I would suggest an Evolution in the bridge and a 59' or a Tone Zone in the neck. Even a pair of Evo's or Tone Zones would do it.

Comment

I agree with Sully as I just put a Custom in my soloist.It sound so much better than the JB.It has more bottom end and the highs are not as harsh sounding.As far as the neck I like the Duncan 59 that came with nice an mellow when driven and great clean sound.
            Mike
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. My biggest concern with the higher output p'ups is loss of clarity and articulation... though I do love to rip it up on the distortion and the EMG's... they just have such great response!
              The reason I mentioned the year of the Soloists is because I figured the real Jackson experts (not me at all) might know what wood the body wings in that "era" were, so I figured it might help out w/ p'up choices.

Sully - nice! Great Clean sound as well. Which custom is that, and what amp?
              JG - That Air Norton and Steve's Special combo sounds like it might be cool.... you lost me on the Duncan part of your post though... all those p'up models (except the '59) you mentioned are DiMarzios, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac:
                Thanks for the input guys. My biggest concern with the higher output p'ups is loss of clarity and articulation...
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There really won't be any loss of clarity or articulation, especially if you don't dime the gain on your amp. And keeping the pickups a little more away from the strings will help, too.

Comment

As to Sully's theory, I think that is why the original Gibson PAF's are so highly coveted...as the pickups age, they naturally dissipate some of their magnetism and decrease their output.

Years ago, if you had a pickup that was "waning" magnetically, people would bring them to a garage which worked on odometers/speedometers to recharge the magnets.

Or, in the old days, I read where Gary Rossington of Lynyrd Skynyrd said that there were no replacement pickups back then, it was basically buy another guitar [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I personally don't like how DiMarzio's are "voiced" to my ears, they are harsh to me. I like the JB, but from now on, I think I'm gonna be a Duncan Custom or Custom-Custom dude [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If you go DiMarzio do try a super D in the neck.Its so smooth and a steve's special in the bridge.For your style thats a killer combo.I did that combo in a wolfgang for a guy and he said the tone was just what he was looking for.Duncans try a Custom (neck) custom 5 (bridge)great combo in a mahogony body as well as alder or poplar.I'm a big fan of JB and Duncan distortion combo as well.I'm on a J.M.Rolph kick right now can't put my 81 fernandes strathead down the tone is awesome.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge sounds awesome in my HM strat. I don't know if you can still get them or not though.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
                        Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge sounds awesome in my HM strat. I don't know if you can still get them or not though.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, you can. DiMarzio will make any pickup for you, even if it's not listed in their catalog any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayniac:
                          Thanks for the input guys. My biggest concern with the higher output p'ups is loss of clarity and articulation... though I do love to rip it up on the distortion and the EMG's... they just have such great response!
                          The reason I mentioned the year of the Soloists is because I figured the real Jackson experts (not me at all) might know what wood the body wings in that "era" were, so I figured it might help out w/ p'up choices.

Sully - nice! Great Clean sound as well. Which custom is that, and what amp?
                          JG - That Air Norton and Steve's Special combo sounds like it might be cool.... you lost me on the Duncan part of your post though... all those p'up models (except the '59) you mentioned are DiMarzios, right?
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yea Wayne, I don't know why I even mentioned Duncan in my reply. I prefer Dimarzio's so they are what I suggested. The Steve's Special and the Air Norton combo does everything for me. Punch, bottom, mids,highs and mucho harmonics. They do it all.

Comment

thanks wayniac; the amp i used was a jcm800 and i believe i had an old digitech pedalboard in thru the effects loop. the guitar i used was boxcar's rhoads, and i believe that was a plain ol' custom that i put in it for him. i recorded that so he could have an idea what the swap sounded like.

lpc, i'm with ya on the dimarzios, i've sampled the paf pro, and the super distortion, and they've both been very brittle sounding to me.

sully
                            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                            Sully Guitars on Facebook
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

For Duncans I'd suggest the Custom bridge/JB neck combo. You can also try lowering the Distortion further away from the strings as Toejam suggested, and decreasing the gain a bit - let the pickup provide the initial drive into the preamp.
                              The Jazz has a great clean, but may be a bit Stratty if you don't set your gain and eq "just right".
                              As well, the 59 has good articulation in the bridge, but you might have to futz with the gain or presence a bit to get it "just right".

I've got a pair of Evos in a guitar and I really don't care for them - they seem kinda flat and lifeless. Actually, I've found that with all DiMarzios I've tried - including the SuperD and Super3 (which neither affect distortion nor have any quality I would consider "Super"), but that's just me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I also would not suggest mixing brands on one guitar unless you could A/B both models in a similar guitar through your rig.

Newc
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                              X