Which pup is hotter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pup is hotter?

Between a Jackson J90C and a Duncan Designed HB102N, which is hotter? Note that I'm referring to the Duncan Designed "N" version, the neck pickup. I'm thinking of replacing the J90C in my Model 2 with the HB102N. Also note that the HB102N will go in the bridge (only) position on the Model 2.

What do you think?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Re: Which pup is hotter?

The HB102N is hotter but don't put it in the bridge. It isn't voiced correctly for the bridge position. BTW, I believe the J90-C has ceramic magnets. It is a pretty nice sounding pickup.

Comment

In my opinion, the Jackson J90C will blow away a Duncan Designed HB102N. If you are unhappy with the J90C, I think a True Duncan like a JB in the Bridge would be much better than any Duncan Designed Pickup.

Matt

Comment

Yeah.. spend the extra $20 and get a real duncan man. "duncan designed" are crap.

rich

Comment

Since I'm currently "economically challenged," what do you guys think of the Duncan Performer Buckshot? Any experience with these? GC has them for $29.00 right now.

By the way, I actually like the sound of the J90C, I just wish it was hotter.

Comment

In that case, I'd try just boosting the signal through a distortion pedal or something like that - just using the volume setting to get louder. It may not be what you're looking for, but if you like the sound of the pickup, I see little reason to replace it (?).

Until you can afford a nice EMG set. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also, do investigate used pickups. I've bought 4 EMG humbuckers used and never had a problem with any of them. There's always the hassle of buying the pots/jacks separately, and extending wires that were cut to length, but you can get away at a fraction of the price.

'bane

Comment

I think the J90c is plenty hot 8 out of 9 of mine test between 15.5 thru 15.9 D.C.I do have 1 that tested 13.5 its quite mellow with lots of growl.Maybe try a mid boost system out of a model 6 to give a little boost or some sort of stomp box.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I agree with Richard, the J90 is plenty hot and if you get any "hotter" you're going to lose some of the warmth and detail of it. Tweak on the eq a bit before you spend lots of money.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, guys. Like I say, I do like the sound of the J90C. What weirded me out was when I played the Model 2 (with J90C) back to back against my DX10X with the DD HB102's. The Model 2 is MUCH thicker acoustically and heavier, but the DX10X actually sounded heavier through the amp.

Comment

You could also try raising the pickup closer to the srtings.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by OnlineStageGear:
                      You could also try raising the pickup closer to the srtings.

Matt
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I always keep my pickups as high as they'll go without the strings touching it when fretted at the 22nd/24th fret.

Comment

If you havnet already pull the cover off of the J90c it will make it hotter. Keep in mind too if the pup is too close to the strings the extra magnetic pull will kill sustain alot faster. I usually find that sweet spot right in between.
                        Gil

Comment

Working...
                        X