Routing holes for pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing holes for pickups

Soo, I got this black pickguard for my strat, but it doesn't have any holes for pickups or switches. I want to give my axe a H/S pickup config. and I want it to have a volume and one tone, complete with a five-way switch. What could I use to make the holes, would a router be my best bet? Or a small saw or something [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ?

Thanx a million

Thoraby

Re: Routing holes for pickups

Get a pine board about as wide as the pickguard (like 3 bucks at any lumber yard), and screw it on there. If your pickguard is kind of bent (most are) make sure you use most of the screw holes to have it lay as flat as possible. I wouldn't use a full size router-the blade might melt the plastic. I wouild use a dremel or similar with the router base. THe control pots you can drill-most need a 3/8" hole. I have never done the hole for a 5-way, so someone else may help you there.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
      Get a pine board about as wide as the pickguard (like 3 bucks at any lumber yard), and screw it on there. If your pickguard is kind of bent (most are) make sure you use most of the screw holes to have it lay as flat as possible. I wouldn't use a full size router-the blade might melt the plastic. I wouild use a dremel or similar with the router base. THe control pots you can drill-most need a 3/8" hole. I have never done the hole for a 5-way, so someone else may help you there.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanx! Anyone got a tip for how to do the hole for the 5-way?

Thanx a million

Thoraby

Comment

Well bro, it's not really a hole, it's more of a slot with two little holes beside it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
        Anyway, seriously, there's no real good way to do it without a router and a 1/8" bit and a template. As an option you could use a LP style 3-way switch and just drill a 3/8" round hole for it. I know this doesn't help much but that's a tough one.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

YOu could probably use one of those "biscuit" saws (like Norm from "this old house" uses all the time). That would make a nice straight clean slot. I think B&D makes a mini circular saw thing too-one of those rechargeable deals-that has a small circular blade. Just more random thoughts.

Comment

We use an inverted pin router at the shop, but here's a way to do it at home:
            1. Get templates and draw out whatever you want cut. It's better to have an actual plastic or wooden template, but a drawing on the pickguard will suffice. Draw you lines as accurate as possible.
            2. Rough cut your lines with whatever tool you have, if it's a tool that can cut fairly fine, like a router, get as close as 1/16" from the outside of the lines you've drawn. If you are using something coarser, like a jigsaw, stay at least 1/8" from the outside line.
            3. Starting with about 80 grit and working your way up to 600-800 grit sandpaper will clean up the edges and you'll be cutting so slow you can easily follow your lines.

Not the fastest way, but it will look good as long as you are careful.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002:
              Well bro, it's not really a hole, it's more of a slot with two little holes beside it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
              Anyway, seriously, there's no real good way to do it without a router and a 1/8" bit and a template. As an option you could use a LP style 3-way switch and just drill a 3/8" round hole for it. I know this doesn't help much but that's a tough one.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmm, I actually have a 3-way switch in my parts bin. I might use that one instead.

And Ace, your method sounds great. I'll try it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanx all
              /Thoraby

Comment

Working...
              X