Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel Model 6 Repair Question (Truss Rod oh no!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Model 6 Repair Question (Truss Rod oh no!)

Well, I have an '88 Model 6 that has been leaning against the wall for the last couple years because the truss rod is broken. Not actually broken, but the nut at the end of the rod is broken off and I can't adjust it. I would bet it's probably not even anchored in the base of the neck anymore, because since that time the action has slowly gotten worse and worse.

Is there any place out there anyone would recommend that might be able to repair this? I hate to see this guitar lay there and not get played because it's a guitar I have had for years, and buying another one just wouldn't be the same.

There is a "fix it repair kit" online somewhere for your problem.
    I just can't think of it right now.
    When I got more time I'll search for ya unless
    Ron, beats me.
    I'm getting old, I just can't remember anymore.

Comment

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro...escue_Kit.html

Yea, Im the man.

dam.. thats pricie

Comment

Seems pretty interesting. I wonder if there are repair shops around that use that so I could just get charged instead of having to buy it.

It seems like it wouldn't work if the truss rod itself was not anchored to the body underneath the 24th fret. Isn't that how it is attacted inside?

Comment

This might help.
          http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...Adj/tradj.html

Click the "MORE" button at the bottom in the web site for more pics of truss rods.
          Last edited by finnman; 05-17-2007, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Wow you really are the man

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
              Wow you really are the man
              don't tell Ron, or Fett, or Toe, or Horns or...

Comment

me........ i bet there is a few guys around here that might do it.
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

You have it? Is it pretty solid?

Comment

Is there any place out there anyone would recommend that might be able to repair this? I hate to see this guitar lay there and not get played because it's a guitar I have had for years, and buying another one just wouldn't be the same.
                    Any decent luthier or better tech can fix it, but it won´t be cheap. 2-300 $ depending on where you are exactly and the style of rod.

Comment

Stew Mac kit won't work with the Charvel rod. That is made for Fender/Gibson style truss rods. You will have to replace the rod. The Charvel rod is a two piece design, with a flat bar on top, and a round rod on the bottom, welded on one end, and when tightened forces the flat bar against the fingerboard. Similar to this rod, but with some slight differences:

What *I* would do is find a trashed Model neck and havest the rod from it. Someone around here must have one. A competent luthier should be able to replace the rod.

Comment

Man, tuned to D (or lower), the rods in my bolt-on's are pretty much loosened in the neck anyways...

Comment

my suggestion is use the stewmac kit to make a deeper hole, then get someone to somehow weld a nut on it. dont know if it'll work though
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCw4Es1ARzY
                          http://www.soundclick.com/milkmen

Comment

If it's truly broken off or the anchor point is not seated anymore, the truss rod should be replaced.
                            The fretboard will have to be removed.
                            This can get very expensive.
                            -Rick

Comment

You have it? Is it pretty solid?
                              hold on i'll explain.
                              "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Working...
                              X