High E slips off fretboard with OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High E slips off fretboard with OFR

I just installed a Floyd on my M4 and while I love it over the JT-6, I noticed with the 53mm string spacing (vice roughly 50mm with the JT-6)the high E tends to fret off the board during certain hammer-ons/pull-offs etc. Any ideas how to help that? Thanks!

I have had the same problem and was told by many that there is really nothing you can do. You need to change your playing technique to adjust for the slippage. I think I even went from a L4 nut to a L3 nut but I still had problems with the high E string slipping off the fretboard when doing bends. For this reason, two of my USA Jacksons sit it the closet. I find that the 80s import and earlier USA jacksons neck profile work best for me. I'm just too old to change my playing style.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Sounds like you may just need to re-align the neck ...

This may be as simple as loosening the neck screws, shifting the neck, and tightening them back up, or if it's more severe ...

* remove the neck
      * dowel the existing holes
      * clamp the neck and string up 1st and 6th strings
      * align the two strings and drill your new holes.

Comment

the model series has the R4 string spacing at the nut. get used to it or get a new neck.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
          Sounds like you may just need to re-align the neck ...
          +1. Loosen the neck screws, pull the neck a little towards the bass side and tighten the neck screws again. Btw, this slight shift happens naturally over time on many bolt ons. It will give you more fretboard space around the 1st string, and less space around the 6th string.

Comment

"You need to change your playing technique to adjust for the slippage."
            " Get used to it or get a new neck."

That's just crazy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              +1. Loosen the neck screws, pull the neck a little towards the bass side and tighten the neck screws again. Btw, this slight shift happens naturally over time on many bolt ons. It will give you more fretboard space around the 1st string, and less space around the 6th string.
              My thoughts exactly ...

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
                "You need to change your playing technique to adjust for the slippage."
                " Get used to it or get a new neck."

That's just crazy ...
                It's not that crazy. The string spacing is different on a JT6 compared to a real Floyd, as has been stated. But with a bolt-on neck, it's worth a try to see if you can loosen the bolts and tug it the other way.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  It's not that crazy. The string spacing is different on a JT6 compared to a real Floyd, as has been stated. But with a bolt-on neck, it's worth a try to see if you can loosen the bolts and tug it the other way.
                  My bad ... I didn't realize the spacing was that different.
                  I just assumed since it was only the high E string that was slipping off, it probably just needed to be aligned.

Comment

If shifting the neck doesn't completely fix the problem for you, you could try to find a used "Floyd Rose Pro" trem. These have narrower string spacing (.40" string to string vs. OFR .42" string to string), and that comes to about the same approximate 50mm spacing that the JT-6 has:
                    http://www.floydrose.com/pro.html

Comment

Another possible solution may be to replace the trem posts and inserts for Floyd Rose ones. There appears to be a slight difference in the spacing of the posts as they sit in their respective inserts.

Comment

yeah people have that problem when they put floyds on old strathead charvies. you can try what some people suiggested, the OLD floyds had slightly smaller spacing too,

Comment

I appreciate these suggestions....does anyone know if a Pro would drop fit into a M4?

Comment

Also, some C/J's have a lot of bevel on the sides of the frets, which also eats up some playing area. When I refret these, I usually put less bevel on the fret ends which increases the playing area a tad.

Comment

Didn't the pro have different post spacing as well, or am I misremembering things?

Comment

Working...
                              X