tuning advice, bill and endrik help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning advice, bill and endrik help

hey guys, my current band does alot of drop d and i have a 4 string charvel setup as the lower 4 of a 5 string,(b-e-a-d)i want to use it on a few songs and was wondering should i drop the b string too or just the e string. what are your opinions on this please. i really hope to hear from bill on this one. i know its not a g&l but i like charvel/jackson basses.lol also endrik cause you have been so helpful on tone. btw the charvel has the stock pups and the factory active electronics. got a show may 27
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

umm, dude
    1. transpose
    2. why would you drop tune the b
    3 YOU ALREADLY HAVE THE D ON THE B STRING IT IS THERE,THIRD FRET!!!!
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

what i was getting at is by dropping the string i wouldn't have to relearn the postions and would has the b for lower runs i don't have much experience with a 5 string. this was a cheap way to see if i would use a low b in this band

Comment

Wow, peabud, I thought you had 5-strings?

But now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing your name in the Concert V bid wars, just the 4-strings
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

i wanted ( and tried to make a deal ) with pro fusion on the one he had on the bay, that thing went for over 5oo bucks, out of my range for right now!

Comment

btw matt, i will have one eventually i'm just a bargin shopper! lol

Comment

does your band use B tuning? If not then use a standard tuning and dropped D on the low E string. I don't see any point having a B tuning, unless you want to do Korn covers. That low on a guitar oriented band can cause shit loads of mud.

The best and the clearest tones I've heard when it comes to 5 string basses and low B string.... Tony Levin in Perer Gabriel, Mike Porcaro in Toto, Flea in RHCP and some more..... common thing.... no heavy guitars.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

fieldy= one crazy dude

just about every thing except standard tuning on a bass sounds like mud. get to know the frets and notes. don't forget bass and guitar are instruments too, just like a piano or a sax, learn your theory.
                "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

kelly user, i have never learned to read music only learned to play by ear. can't play more than 3 chords on guitar. i know where all the notes are but couldn't tell you anything about chords or scales or theory. guess i should take music lessons but at 43, i think it's too late! lol

Comment

never too late my friend.......unless all your fingers get cut off, then it might to too late.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                      never too late my friend.......unless all your fingers get cut off, then it might to too late.
                      i hear ya friend! i did just buy me a midi keyboard to try to learn piano. maybe lessons are in the future for me! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        I don't see any point having a B tuning, unless you want to do Korn covers. That low on a guitar oriented band can cause shit loads of mud.
                        B is too high of a tuning for Korn. They go a step lower to A!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry for the late respense..I had a G&L2000 4 string and did alot of drop D in my VH trib..ala "Unchained"...

Adding a Hipshot was the perfect answer for me..since we were a VH trib we were already tuned a half step down..I just bumped up a string gauge and I was fine..I always use Rotosound 95's..I switched to 100's and never had a problem.
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X