dead tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead tone

I've had a Yamaha EG-303 for the last 3 years and have never liked its unplugged tone, but the fact that its so comfortable has kept from letting it go. When plugged into an amp its great but unplugged the tone is dead. I would really like to know why, could it be the woods used, lacquers, or the fact that it has a really thick layer of paint?

Re: dead tone

Well, the right pickup will make anything sound good.

Matt

Comment

hey matt, the guitar sounds nice with an amp, but just terrible when unplugged

[ March 05, 2004, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: saven_g ]

Comment

Why does anyone care what an electric solid body guitar sounds like unplugged? This sounds like I'm being an asshole but it's actually a legitimate question to me. I've never figured that one out.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

usually a guitar that sounds good unplugged sounds great when used with an amp. & can only be helped by good pickups & stuff, where a guitar that sounds bad unplugged will be more dependant on pickups to sound good & even then might not.

Comment

That's very true but I guess I worded my question wrong. It seemed to me that he was happy with the sound plugged in but was bothered by the fact that it sounded like crap unplugged.

Comment

well the reason I care about how it sounds unplugged is because I have my half stack at my drummers house and my practice amp at a friends house. I find it difficult get myself to use a guitar with bad tone. its just that my eg303 doesnt have enough mids like my kvx10 which is also at my drummers house

Comment

I'm with MM on this one. If it sounds good plugged in, don't worry about it. And I may be confused, but are you saying that the tone you get from the Yamaha through a practice amp is not as good as your Jackson through a half stack? That one is a no-brainer. Practice amps are called practice amps for a reason. If the tone is so bad, use an eq pedal or a distortion pedal and tweak it till it's right. Or else slap a new pickup in it.

Comment

Nobody seems to understand me! i dont have any amps at home so im forced to play unplugged with a guitar that has bad unplugged tone

Comment

I getcha buddy...what's the problem with bringing your Jackson home with you after band practice?

Comment

Dude.. get a practice amp or an acoustic.

rich

Comment

I'm with Mark too. Complaining about how your solid body electric guitar lacks tone unplugged is pretty nuts bro. Here is what I have found regarding my guitars:
                        Rickenbacker 360MB: sounds thin unplugged
                        Ibanez USRG20TP: sounds thin unplugged and it is hard to hear over a drummer
                        Washburn N4: its hard to get pinch harmonics when it is unplugged
                        Charvel Zebra Sandy: It sounds lifeless unplugged
                        Godin Seagull S6+ acoustic: sounds FANTASTIC unplugged!!!
                        BTW: after doing much research on my electric guitars regarding how crappy they sound unplugged I have come to the conclusion that they all were designed to be plugged in to an amp. I always wondered what the pickups and the jack were there for. Bro... get real... get a practice amp or at least a headphone amp.

Comment

I believe that what Saven is saying is that he has no motivation to pick up his guitar and practice due to the bad unplugged tone since he has no amp at home. I understand what he's saying, my SG has the best unplugged tone of all my guitars so if I'm going to play unplugged I always go straight to the SG.
                          Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Yeah, and I believe everyone else agrees that he should get a practice amp..Why even own an electric guitar if your not gonna use it with an amp?????

rich

I believe that what Saven is saying is that he has no motivation to pick up his guitar and practice due to the bad unplugged tone since he has no amp at home. I understand what he's saying, my SG has the best unplugged tone of all my guitars so if I'm going to play unplugged I always go straight to the SG.
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Comment

Just to be sure I checked all my solid body guitars and every one of them sound like shit unplugged. I guess I'll have to sell 'em all!

Comment

Working...
                              X