Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH D-tuna questions

Hey guys,
    I'm thinking about putting one of these on my San Dimas re-issue Charvel and before I did I wanted to know what you guys thought about them.

Do they work well and correctly?

Are they difficult to install or tweak in? They seem like they'd be pretty easy install and setup...

I never installed one, but it seems easy. They do work well and do exactly what they are supposed to do, but keep in mind that you have to block your trem. It cannot be free floating or the D-tuna will not work correctly.

Comment

They are super easy to install. Just unscrew the stringlock screw and slide the d-Tuna on. Once its set up, it very rarely needs tweaking. On the downside, it can reduce the need for additional guitars.

Comment

Eh, I could never get that thing set up right when I put it on my Charvel Star. It worked once, then it wouldn't. I also have my trem resting on the body, so it's essentially "blocked" from pull-ups anyway. I got sick of trying to mess with it and just gave up and sold it. I've got fixed bridge guitars if I need to do the Drop-D thing.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I put a Dtuna on my frankenstien parts mutt. And it works fine. It was a bit of a bear to fine tune to get it set right but once ts there its golden..
          Gil

Comment

i had one on my wayne, it never worked right IMHO & always need some tweaking.

Comment

This is starting to sound like buying a car! HA HA!

Seriously ,it sounds like there's some mixed emotions about them. I'm going to be installing it on my Charvel San Dimas Re-issue. It's got the original Floyd and I do have it resting against the body. Do you all think that some of the instability mentioned above was from the trem resting on the body instead of being properly blocked off? To me the design was for the trem to only have to set on the body but I guess there could be an instability factor....

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                This is starting to sound like buying a car! HA HA!

Seriously ,it sounds like there's some mixed emotions about them. I'm going to be installing it on my Charvel San Dimas Re-issue. It's got the original Floyd and I do have it resting against the body. Do you all think that some of the instability mentioned above was from the trem resting on the body instead of being properly blocked off? To me the design was for the trem to only have to set on the body but I guess there could be an instability factor....
                I don't see why resting on the body would be a factor. EVH has always had his resting on the body. I don't see what the difference would be in having a block in there or it being on the body. You can't do pull-ups either way, so it's stable. I just probably didn't have it set up right and gave up.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Well....

I took the plunge and I bought one today and installed it on my Charvel. It was really easy to install and tweak in. I didn't have any problems and it works great although it kinda takes away from the appearance of my Charvel. It's worth it though to have the versitility.

Comment

I installed one on my San Dimas reissue too, it works perfectly. The only time I need to re-tune my guitar is when I re-string it.

Comment

I found this going in the archives. I just set up one of my guitars with the Dtuna. It is a floating trem. Would this work better with a floater if I was using a Trem setter spring assembly? Cause it is pretty much a decoration on my guitar with it floating. I use my trem alot for vibrato effects and good old whammy action.
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                        I found this going in the archives. I just set up one of my guitars with the Dtuna. It is a floating trem. Would this work better with a floater if I was using a Trem setter spring assembly? Cause it is pretty much a decoration on my guitar with it floating. I use my trem alot for vibrato effects and good old whammy action.
                        Yes, you either have to block it or use some sort of tremsetter if your trem is full floating.

Personally, I'd recommend the Tremel-No.
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

Got it working by machining a block. No longer floating...Oh well. HEHEHE. If I break a string, at least I can finish the song now. Thanks for the input!
                          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The one i have on my Frankenstien is on an OFR. But the OFR is not set against the body. It doesnt pull back very far. More like a 1/4 step or so. But when i use the Dtuna i have no issues with tuning stability or anything, Maybe its a fluke but yeah i have no issues.
                            Gil

Comment

Working...
                            X