Question for Amp Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Amp Gurus

I shipped off my fully functional 2:90 to a buyer the other day and he just contacted me and said that upon arrival it's not working (keep in mind this is a kid who knows nothing about tube amps). I warned both he and his mom in advance to never power the amp up unless both output channels were connected to speaker cabs.

He said that the first time he turned the amp on there was a "really really loud crackling sound" and that there's been no output at all since. The amp powers up, the front panel fuse isn't blown, the power tubes are all lit & the preamp tubes are all lit. I walked him through the proper connection of his new preamp and had him try it with his guitar plugged straight into the 2:90's inputs with the inputs set to instrument level, still nothing. Even though I'd told him to never use a single output channel, that's what he was trying to do when I spoke to him - he also had the volume cranked *all* the way up (maybe that crackling noise was his speakers blowing). At this point it's dead, no sound at all.

He'd first tried to "plug one channel of [his] mp-1 into the 'modern input' (footswitch)" and had then cranked the volume, this is apparently when the loud crackling sound occurred. He says that he had one channel's volume completely off and was using only the other but I'm a bit skeptical of anyone who plugs a preamp output into a footswitch jack.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Re: Question for Amp Gurus

Ask him to check his speaker cab with a different amp. That way you'd know if it's really the amp or he blew the speakers.

Comment

Re: Question for Amp Gurus

I thought about that but he doesn't have any other amps and he's pretty panicked because he was counting on this one for a gig Friday.

But if he's got really low wattage speakers and melted the voice coils that would look like no load to the amp wouldn't it? And if so, his subsequent attempts to get the amp to do something while he has the volume maxed would probably toast the tubes and/or output transformers in short order wouldn't they?

I feel really bad that it's not working but at the same time I used it for years and it's never so much as blown a fuse.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Working...
      X