Static build up on Strat Pickguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static build up on Strat Pickguard

I have a 2002 Squier Strat that has a black pickguard. When I play it static comes out of the amp if I move my fingers along the pickguard. It doesn't matter if I am touching the strings or not. It affects all portions of the pickguard. If I wet a fingertip it doesn't make noise, a dry fingertip crackles. Is this a shielding problem, or is it possibly something that is only in the black pickguard? Nobody I have asked has had this problem.

Re: Static build up on Strat Pickguard

I think it is probably a grounding problem. Plastic pickguards can have problems with static electricity especially if the weather is cold and dry. The best way to overcome this problem is to apply a layer of copper shielding tape to the back of the pickguard and make sure everything is grounded to that. A lot of higher end guitars are done that way from the factory, and with good reason.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

mm2002 is right - I had the exact same problem with my Fender Strat. I purchased some copper shielding from here to solve the problem: http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html

P.S. His silver wiring is fantastic - I couldn't believe the difference over regular wiring. I've rewired all my guitars with the stuff.
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

mm2002 and SweetPete,
        Thanks for the help and information. I had considered shielding, but I wasn't sure since touching the strings didn't eliminate the static. I will give it a try! Thanks again! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Overlord,

I would add a third recommendation for shielding. I just finished doing my Tele (foil on the back of the pickguard and copper tape in the cavities). It's a huge difference. I used to get noticable hum from a CRT tube; no more. The thing's almost perfectly quiet.

Note that a Strat is a little more involved than a Tele, as they often have a grounding loop in the stock wiring. You'll have to fix that in addition to adding the shielding. See here for illustrated instructions.

You can also use conductive paint and copper tape from StewMac, or copper tape from Allparts. I actually used a sheet of copper foil from a local craft store to do my pickguard. Get the thin stuff, and glue it on with spray adhesive, contact cement, etc.

Comment

KongaMan,
            Thanks for the information! The link to guitarnuts.com was very informative. It will hopefully keep me from destroying the guitar in the process. Now I only have to find enough spare time to actually accomplish it......The hardest part of any project! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X