EMG's out of a pickguard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG's out of a pickguard?

If I take EMG's out of a pickguard do I need to buy anything else to make them work? They are new. Is it the same as buying them without the pickgaurd except you get the pickguard too? Is there anything like springs or whatever that would come in the box if I got the setup without the PG? If I can get the ones with PG for less than the ones without, is it a better deal? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Re: EMG\'s out of a pickguard?

Originally posted by wulfe13:
    If I take EMG's out of a pickguard do I need to buy anything else to make them work? They are new. Is it the same as buying them without the pickgaurd except you get the pickguard too? Is there anything like springs or whatever that would come in the box if I got the setup without the PG? If I can get the ones with PG for less than the ones without, is it a better deal? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Umm...not really. When you buy EMG's you get everything you need, except pickup bezels. They ship the mounting screws, the springs, the pots, the battery clips, the jacks, etc, etc. Don't waste your cash on a pickguard set if you're not going to use the pickguard.

'bane

Comment

Like 'bane said: if you just get the bare pups, you're going to need EMG's the pots, battery clips & input jack along with the mechanical bits. I've got an extra set of pots & *might* have an extra input jack. If you wind up short those parts drop me a line and I'll send my extras your way.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Actually both prices look pretty good. If you got the $125 pickguard set you could try to re-sale the pickguard.

Comment

But would I have needed to get anything else on the one for $125 that would have come with the one for $160?

Comment

I don't think so. Either way they come with everything you need. You can always ask the seller what's included in the set. Sometimes people sell incomplete set but don't bother to mention it in the description. The way they leave EMG factory, you don't need anything.

Comment

Ah, I thought you were considering buying a pickguard set new. My mistake. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

If you find it used for a good price, hit it. If it's missing pots and jack, you can easilly pick those up separately.

The only thing I don't like about buying used pickups, is that some nitwit may have cut the wires ridiculously short when installing them. I hate that.

'bane

Comment

No the pickguard set was new and had the pots and everything. I was wondering if they mount differently in a pickguard set? I thought i heard that you need springs or something for guitars without pickguards. If so I have them in my guitar already but my Hum isn't mounting properly now. So I thought the set without the pickguard might come with springs or whatever.

Comment

Well... come on guys!

Comment

Well this was an eBay auction and it was SA/SA/85 in a pickguard brand new for $125 BIN and there was another auction without the pickguard that went for $160. Which one should I have bought? I missed both of course. [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, not knowing exactly what's the problem with your humbacker it's hard to advise. I have a 81/SA/81 set installed in one of my guitars directly into the body - no pickup rings. The only problem is that the screws that come with EMGs are not wood screws, but you should be able to screw them into the wood anyway. As for the springs, instead, I use a piece of sponge underneath the pickup to keep it in the right position. I've been doing that for years. If you give us more info, we'll try to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by wulfe13:
                        I was wondering if they mount differently in a pickguard set? I thought i heard that you need springs or something for guitars without pickguards.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You use springs in both, so that shouldn't be an issue. And if you find out you're missing the springs - get a couple new ones from a hardware store.

I still think buying a pickguard set wouldn't be as good as buying the pickups separately, unless you can get it for a very good price. Even if the set is new, the pickups will be "used" once you've taken them out of the pickguard, and you may have to fiddle with extending wires and such.

'bane

Comment

After giving it a second thought, yes, the wires would be cut to length in the pickguard set. I agree, if you can, get them separately. I never cut wires on my pickups. You never know what you're going to do with them later.

Comment

No problem. That's what we're here for. I learn new things on daily basis. I avoided doing stupid things with my guitar thanks to this forum.

Comment

Ah ha! Thats the answer I was looking for. Thanks 'Bane, Metafaza!

Comment

Working...
                              X