Need advice for filling PU ring screw holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for filling PU ring screw holes

Hey everyone, I was wanting some steps/advice on filling the pickup ring screw holes on my SL2H. It is snow white. I figured I would have to sand around the screw holes, fill it with bondo?, tape it off around the hole, prime, paint, and maybe clear? I usually use Dupli-Color rattle cans (acrylic Lacquer) but maybe for this I should find some matching automotive touchup paint and no clear? I'm unsure how to do this because I want it to blend/match/shine with the original clear. Also, I am unsure which paint is best to blend with the factory paint. Maybe I shouldn't even "Direct Mount" the PU's but I love the look/sound. Any steps/techniques/advice you guys could provide would really help. Thanks!

get glue and tooth pick, plug the hole, making sure you break the tooth picks off flush with the top of the guitar. then never look at your guitar again. i would leave the holes as is. would 8 little dots bother you that much
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

8 little dots on a $1200+ guitar would bother the hell out of me.
      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
        get glue and tooth pick, plug the hole, making sure you break the tooth picks off flush with the top of the guitar. then never look at your guitar again. i would leave the holes as is. would 8 little dots bother you that much
        Sweet! That sounds like a plan! I may try painting the tothpicks with some touchup paint. One thing I like is the fact that if I can't get it to look decent, I can always put the PU ring back on which would cover it up. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
          8 little dots on a $1200+ guitar would bother the hell out of me.
          +1 I'd play with different color pickup rings, if I wanted someting different.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

ok so what I did was direct mount the PU's and painted the screws for the rings white. After they dry i'll put them in the guitar without the pickup rings so the holes wont be as obvious. Thanks for everyones input/help.

Comment

Why bother?There is not that much difference in tone by direct mounting.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Why bother?There is not that much difference in tone by direct mounting.
                Well I have 3 reasons:
                1. I like the way it looks
                2. I think it does make a difference in tone if you mount the pickup solid and not with methods such as double sided tape.
                3. QC issues! The PU rings would not allow the pickups poles to align with the strings and although I could get it close it was bending the plastic rings and looked bad so direct mount solves this problem for me.
                Last edited by z1n; 05-14-2007, 02:20 AM.

Comment

you can always fill the hols and leave a 64th or less and drip some automotive paint in there for color then drip some CA glue in there for gloss...
                  Works like a charm with the right materials.

Comment

Originally posted by vwall guitars View Post
                    you can always fill the hols and leave a 64th or less and drip some automotive paint in there for color then drip some CA glue in there for gloss...
                    Works like a charm with the right materials.
                    damn, sounds good, though, his idea sounds pretty good as a quick fix, but i think it would still look pretty bad.
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Yeah, its not a soultion for pefect match unless you go thru all the motions,
                      According to Dan Lawrence, if you can match the paint and add the CA then wet sand it down and buff, it will blend almost pefectly.

Comment

Working...
                      X