Installing a new pickup...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a new pickup...

Ok right now my RR as duncan designed pups wired up with 1 volume knob (no tone) I want to replace the bridge pup with a DiMarzio X2n (which I have) and I need to replace the volume pot, I can solder I'm just not sure how the wiring should go? Also, how would I install the new pup without removing all the strings from the floyd? One of my biggest concerns is mounting the pup with the floyd...

what do you mean, " not removing the strings from the floyd" you have to. you have to take out the old one don't you. i would highly recommend you take it to a tech.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

You could just loosen the strings up and remove the neck. Or you could just loosen the strings, take the springs off the floyd and remove it from the guitar (be careful doing this as not to chip the paint)

Comment

umm...have you ever changed strings on it? if youre not sure about taking strings off, how do you change the strings?

in all seriousness...flip the guitar over, remove the springs from the trem, and pull the Floyd (with strings) off the posts and lay it to the side. when youre done doing the pickup swap, put the Floyd back on, attach the springs and youre good to go.
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Yeah, I've changed strings on it the other day, but I am weary on taking off all the strings on a floating trem, without having to go through a setup again (which I can't do on a floyd)

Comment

you shouldnt have to do a setup unless you change the gauges of strings youre using. just pull the Floyd off like i said, and change that pickup!

you are confident in your soldering skills, arent you?
            Available Now!
            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Yeah, won't I have a prob with the bridge being unbalanced then though? (IE, the bridge pulling all the way back)

Comment

Originally posted by elite83 View Post
                Yeah, won't I have a prob with the bridge being unbalanced then though? (IE, the bridge pulling all the way back)
                Not unless you change the strings - or the springs.

Comment

Slipping the springs out of the trem block isn't hard. I usually unlock the nut & loosen all the strings to let the trem rock back, then take the springs off. It's not hard to get the trem over & off the posts with the strings loose. Pretty easy to put it back on, too.

Comment

block the trem, take off the strings, change PU , but strings back on, take off block and jam
                    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

I swap p/u's all the time without taking off the strings... so long as its a floyd guitar, you shouldnt have much of a problem. Just tune down a bit, and remove the springs. Youll have plenty of room to take the pickup out without trashing a brand new set of strings.
                      Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

i dont even have to detune the strings to pull the Floyd off...? i just take off the springs, pull the Floyd off, and when i put it back on its pretty much in tune.

but detuning a little probably would make it a tad easier!
                        Available Now!
                        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by soc_monki View Post
                          i dont even have to detune the strings to pull the Floyd off...? i just take off the springs, pull the Floyd off, and when i put it back on its pretty much in tune.

but detuning a little probably would make it a tad easier!
                          sounds a wee bit dangerous.......

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
                            sounds a wee bit dangerous.......
                            not dangerous at all. when you take the springs off the trem its pretty much loose. just grab one side, pull it off the post, and then the other side comes off no problem. i got the idea from ibanezrules.com.

im sure if youre not careful you could really damage paint in the area, but other than that its not a big deal.
                            Available Now!
                            New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Comment

Working...
                            X