Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will adding concentric tone control affect my sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will adding concentric tone control affect my sound?

I'm thinking of putting a tone control in my Jackson JJP to get a little extra versatility. It's one pickup/one volume control. I love the sound of the DiMarzio Super Distortion pickup, but I've heard that when adding a tone control that it loads your signal down a little and causes the pickup to become a little darker sounding. Is this true of the stacked concentric pots as well? I can only put in a concentric pot(outer control would be volume and inner would be tone), as the control cavity is very small and can only accomodate the existing volume control. Should I bother doing this or just leave it?

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Will adding concentric tone control affect my sound?

Geez, that's gotta be the smallest control cavity I've ever seen! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I see what you mean that you don't have much room.

From what I hear, putting a tone circuit in will take a little top end off the sound when the tone is fully up compared to having no tone control. The tone in the concentric pot would probably be no different than a separate one. How much difference in the sound, I don't know and it'll probably depend on the pickup as well.

Have you considered a push-pull pot to try varied sounds instead of a tone? For guitars with 2 or more pickups, if I have a tone control, I only wire it for the neck, not the bridge. The only time I set it up a tone for the bridge is with an EMG 81 which is waaay bright in the bridge and needs a little tone control (pun intended!) for a less bright clean sound.
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Hey, I just found this. It talks of a no load tone knob. If they made this in a concentric, it might be what you're looking for!

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/wir...ods.html#nlpot
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

GO to Radio shack, and buy a small electronics project box and two 1/4" mono jacks and get a regular old tone pot. Then build a little external (?) tone knob thet plugs in between your guitar and amp. YOu could even clip it to your strap like a wireless unit. Then you don't have to mod the guitar, and if you don't like it, just pull it off. Seems silly, huh....just a random idea.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions, guys! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img] I did actually think of possibly a push/pull for maybe coil splitting or parallel wiring, but I'm not sure yet. I probably wouldn't use it as much as the tone control. Anyway, those no-load pots seems very cool and I'll look around to see if they possibly make them in concentric.

Someone else here at one time mentioned about a tone control between the guitar and the amp, but I'm not sure I really want to do that, but I guess it could always be something cool to expermiment with. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey TJ, I just did some experimenting as the thought of a tone change from adding a Tone knob made me curious.

It CERTAINLY affected my sound! I prefer the sound of the guitar WITHOUT it in there, so I simply took it out of the loop (still use the knob in a push-pull config)

It sounds brighter and more "open" with the tone knob out, and I really like it, it almost allows me to shape my tone more through my amp!

Thx for the in-advertant tip [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026:
              Hey TJ, I just did some experimenting as the thought of a tone change from adding a Tone knob made me curious.

It CERTAINLY affected my sound! I prefer the sound of the guitar WITHOUT it in there, so I simply took it out of the loop (still use the knob in a push-pull config)

It sounds brighter and more "open" with the tone knob out, and I really like it, it almost allows me to shape my tone more through my amp!

Thx for the in-advertant tip [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Cool, thanks! I knew I had heard that before, but most of my guitars have had tone controls and I never disconnected them to see if it affected its sound. I never really even used the tone control for many years, but now I seem to use it on occasion. Maybe I'm getting mellow in my old age? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I probably won't bother now adding it unless I can definitely find a no-load concentric.

Comment

Working...
              X