How To Get a Good Camo Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Get a Good Camo Finish

Anyone ever painted their guitar in a fighter plane camo? I was thinking of doing this to a tele I have setting around that I don't like the paint job I've done to it. Are there any tricks to getting it to look really professional?

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
    Are there any tricks to getting it to look really professional?

Yeah, have a professional do it :ROTF:

Just kiddin. That really is a good question. I've thought about doing a camo finish myself but I was afraid of having it turn out like a john-boy boat. I found some people on the internet willing to do a simple camo finish for about $300.

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by "fighter plane camo", but I recently finished an EVH style camo guitar that came out pretty decent.

It just took a little time and alot of patience.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
        I'm not sure what you mean by "fighter plane camo", but I recently finished an EVH style camo guitar that came out pretty decent.

It just took a little time and alot of patience.

That thing looks great! How did you do it? Just spray one coat, tape some off, spray the next, and repeat?

Comment

The paintjob you see is actually my second attempt ...
          The clearcoat on my first attempt had a bad case of solvent pop, so I stripped it and re-did the whole thing and it actually turned out better the second time around IMO.

Anyway ... I snapped a few pics during my first attempt to illustrate the process.
          Just ommit the stripes for a plain camo paint scheme ...

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
            The paintjob you see is actually my second attempt ...
            The clearcoat on my first attempt had a bad case of solvent pop, so I stripped it and re-did the whole thing and it actually turned out better the second time around IMO.

Anyway ... I snapped a few pics during my first attempt to illustrate the process.
            Just ommit the stripes for a plain camo paint scheme ...

Good luck!
            How did you paint the patches?

Looks awesome!

Comment

That is the coolest EVH pattern ever!
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment.

I was actually wrong when I said "Just ommit the stripes for a plain 'ol camo paint scheme".
                The camo pattern actually has black shapes in the design as well.
                I just thought they would take away from the black stripes, so I intentionally left them out.

Comment

That is awesome. Best EVH paint scheme ever created.
                  Congrats on a great creative paint job!

Comment

Dino you sure are the master when it comes to finishing. I hear that you don't use Krylon anymore? do you use the 2 pack stuff now?? what did you use for the matt finish coat ?? and how easy was it to apply ??when you spray this matt coat on do you wet sand after or is it straight off the gun and thats it?? Sorry for the questions but if anybody can put me and other fellow painters right its you or Mark

Comment

Yeah, Dino's work is what inspiredme to do my first project guitar. He does good work. Still diggin' the EVH camo, Dino!
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                      X