neck shim or recess floyd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neck shim or recess floyd?

Ok, I'm buiding a mutt guitar out of strnge bits and pieces I have acquired. I have a strat body with non-recessed floyd posts, and a strat copy neck. When I finally slapped this thing together, I realized that the JT-6 I am using sits way to high on the body, and the action is about 3 feet at the highest fret. I fashioned a neck shim out of some scrap would (about 1/8" thick and puyt it in there, but it is still not close enough. Would I be better off making a recessed route in the body? If so, what is the best way to get the old floyd bushings out? HELP!

Re: neck shim or recess floyd?

have you shimmed the entire pocket? That would raise the neck, but you would almost have to raise the neck out of the pocket to get it high enough for the non-recessed trem.

What you need is a wedge-shaped shim, so that the neck actually angles back in the pocket. It only needs to angle a little, something like 4 degrees, so you shouldn't need a really big shim to do it (especially compared to laying flat shims to try to raise the neck up to meet the strings) but a slight change in neck angle makes a big difference to the action. Check out the neck angle on the Floyded Model series guitars.

Hope that made sense. I'm not sure I even understand what I just said.....
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
      scrap would
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Scrap would what? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Seriously, I agree with Gary. Or maybe try a few guitar picks... they make great shims.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I see...very clever....

Comment

ok, i stuck a few washers on the bottom two screws to shim it up and it is now perfect. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Cool. Good idea. Glad it worked. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Now I just have to figure out where all the string buzz is coming from. I get buzzing in the middle of the fretboard (about frets 7-12). I checked the relief and the neck is pretty straight. It does have rather small frets-should I add a little more relief to account for these?

Comment

Already laid a straightedge against the frets and there is a tiny bit of space around the 12th fret or so, maybe an index card worth. The frets seem good, as the neck is in almost brand new shape, but it is a "tradition" brand neck, so quality may not be that great. I will tinker with it until it is good, or else off to ebay for a better neck.

Comment

if it's between 7-12 or so, and then flattens out, you've still got some relief in there. tighten the truss rod a bit more, and get it nice and straight. once you've eliminated high/low frets, we can move on to other setup issues.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

yes but check to see if the higher frets/fretboard may be lifting.

Comment

Guess it wasn't perfect after all. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] You can try adding a little more relief and see if that fixes the problem. You also need to check the frets like stated above.

Comment

with the neck as straight as you can get it, lay a straightedge across it on the bass side and look to make sure that all the frets are touching the straightedge. move it to the center of the neck and do the same, then do the same on the treble side. once you know that all the frets are touching the straightedge, you've ruled out high frets. now add some relief and adjust from there.

sully
                        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                        Sully Guitars on Facebook
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                        X