Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unstable floyd

Here is the problem.
    Day 1 Restrung guitar got the floyd set properly tuned to pitch.stretched the strings retuned to pitch and let the guitar sit for a day.
    Day 2 Picked up guitar to set intonation was not even close to pitch and floyd was kicked up a little in the back.Adjusted spring claw got the floyd level again blocked the floyd set the intonation retuned guitar played seemed fine put the guitar up for a day.
    Day 3 Rear of floyd kicked up in the back again guitar grossly out of tune.The nut is stable the strings stretched the trem claw screws are solid in to the body,the trem studs and posts are in great shape.The neck is stable I can't figure out why the floyd won't stay put. Any ideas guys [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Re: unstable floyd

Sounds like either your springs are shot or your spring claw is pulling out of the body. Check the screws for the spring claw. If they are ok and not pulling out of the body I would guess your springs need replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard:
      ..the trem studs and posts are in great shape.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bridge returns to dead zero after doing a trem dive?
      Bridge returns to dead zero after doing a trem pull up?
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Rich, it is one of these:
        Loose neck
        broken truss rod
        a crack in the body at the inserts (it could be internal under the top (if it has a top on it)
        a cracked trem post
        stripped out trem claw screws
        bad or defective springs

That is all there is bro. It HAS to be one of the above.

Comment

did you stretch the hell out of the strings right after you put them on like you are supposed to?
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I guess it must be the trem posts every thing else is ok.The trem posts look ok but still may be cracked.Thanks again for the help.I'll go back to work on the thing now. [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img]

Comment

Are you storing the guitar indoors or outdoors?
              [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

And is the guitar near a radiator or heat duct that turns on during the night?

It also could be the new springs-if they are stretching out a bit, the bridge would tilt up slightly (strings go flat) as they streth. I would dive bomb that thing a bunch of times to stretch the springs a little, and see if that cures it.

Comment

The springs are new floyd springs and the spring claw screws are new and very tight so no movement there.Knife edges are smooth as are the pivot points on the posts.Trem returns to tune either way but let it sit overnight and the trem is pulled up in the back slightly enough to cause it to be way out of tune.The guitar is a ibanez 555 LNG jem with the original floyd style edge trem.I have a RG 550 with the same trem and it works great. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

mm2002 you are too funny!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

It was the only idea I could come up with! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I actually had that happen to me once. It turned out to be the strings.

Matt

Comment

Well Matt that had crossed my mind but I thought that was a little far fetched.I had it all apart again and can find nothing wrong.If I block the trem its fine so I ruled out the strings being the problem.This one has been a real pain in the ass.I've never had a floyd equipped guitar give me so much problems [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

what size strings & if they are new trem springs they may be breaking in. i usually use 4 or 5 spring no matter what, keeps it much more stable imo.

Comment

Working...
                            X