Floyds: Recessed vs. Non-recessed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyds: Recessed vs. Non-recessed

In my continuing quest to create (or ask Jackson to create) the ultimate guitar, I pose a question.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of recessed and non-recessed Floyd Rose setups?

(I suppose this has been covered before, but my search didn't disclose anything).

Re: Floyds: Recessed vs. Non-recessed

With non-recessed (also called top-mounted) Floyds, there's an angle between the neck and the body... something like 4 degrees if I remember from a previous thread. I think it makes the bridge as high as a tunomatic, and some people enjoy the height and neck angle. Also, there's less wood carved out of the guitar (if that means anything to you and your tone requirements).

With the recessed Floyds, the neck and body can now be parallel with each other, but now the Floyd has to be sunken in to the body. Because of this, there's the extra bit carved out under the locking screws so that you can actually pull up on the trem.

I've found that it's more of a "feel" preference for players. I've found that both types allow you to pull up on the bar in approximately equal amounts, although I have to be careful with the top-mount Floyds since there's no "cushioned" cavity below for the screws to hit. Both types allow you to dive in similar fashions.

Also, you'll have a different block length depending on whether the Floyd is top-mounted or recessed. With recessed, the block is shorter.

I honestly don't have a preference.

Comment

I prefer the non-recessed Floyds, as I like the tilt of the neck and how the trem sits higher off the body. Though, I'll play both, and the only guitar I currently own with a Floyd is my Warrior with the recessed route. Given a choice of getting a Custom, I'd definitely not get it recessed. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I, personally, prefer recessed Floyds. It's hard to say why, it may be just a matter of being used to them. I guess, somehow, I'd go with a recessed Floyd.

Comment

Also, it could be that the old-school players prefer the look and feel of the top-mounted Floyds since top mounting was the way Floyds were first installed on guitars, I think. I then read that Steve Vai was the first to start hacking away at the wood underneath the Floyd to allow insane pull-ups, but I have no idea whether that's true or not.

Comment

I'm so used to pulling on the bar, that if I can't I feel strange. According to my ears, it sounds differently when you bend a string or when you pull on the bar. I may be deaf as well...

Comment

Re: the neck angle thing, to some...

Non-recessed Floyds somewhat resemble the feel of Les Pauls or other TOM-style equipped guitars, with a steeper neck angle and the bridge raised up further off the body.

And - to some - the straighter neck angle and lower bridge-to-body relationship of a recessed Floyd feels more like a vintage trem equipped Strat or similar.

Comment

i have found here lately that i prefer the recessed floyd. it makes it easier for me to speed pick cause i can rest my wrist on the body more and get more control with my pick that way.

~JW
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                  i have found here lately that i prefer the recessed floyd. it makes it easier for me to speed pick cause i can rest my wrist on the body more and get more control with my pick that way.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's how I do it as well.

Comment

I prefer fixed bridges, but given the choice between recessed and non-recessed Floyds, I prefer recessed.

My only guitar with a trem is a PC1, and I find that the recessed Floyd on it really doesn't get in my way.

- E.
                    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I prefer a good old top mounted Floyd
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's how I do it as well. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I do this, too. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks to everyone else for posting, too.

Comment

The only real reson to recess these days is like Shreddormon said, to replicate the feel of a vintage instrument, but it is done as the norm and we are pretty used to it now because on most new guitars we have to be. It doesn't take much brain work to realise that you can have a non recessed trem with as much pullup potential as a recessed one. Just route out some wood at the rear, you have to do it to recess it anyway.

But yeah, I don't mind either. My current fave player since I got it has it recessed and my upcoming GMW has a non recessed one, just to be different.

Comment

Working...
                          X