EMG SA/SV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG SA/SV

What are these like? I'm looking at one for the bridge, I'm going for a sort of in between single coil and humbucker tone, with good distortion and good cleans. Are they F-Spaced?
    thanks
    john

Re: EMG SA/SV

You're looking to a singlecoil for the bridge pup? I'd rather recommend the EMG-89 which is a splittable humbucker, but that's me for you. I have a sneaking distrust for singlecoils. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh, and all singlecoils are F-spaced.

'bane

Comment

All EMGs except the SV are trem spaced ("f" spaced, whatever) as they use blade magnets like on a DiMarzio X2N. The SV and SAV, which are the only ones with individual poles, are Fender-style and thus trem spaced.

Comment

If you're limited to a single-coil sized pickup in the bridge position, like a Fender strat, I'd recommend using one of the EMG single coils coupled with the EMG SPC circuit. This boosts the mids and recreates a humbucking tone from a single-coil as you turn up the dial. Here's a link that describes it:

http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...&catalogid=131

David Gilmore uses it in his strats, and I love his clean tone and lead sound. Another link:

http://www.emginc.com/displayproduct...1&catalogid=56
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyApollo:
          All EMGs except the SV are trem spaced ("f" spaced, whatever) as they use blade magnets like on a DiMarzio X2N. The SV and SAV, which are the only ones with individual poles, are Fender-style and thus trem spaced.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Jimmy, actually in a technical sense, the blade magnets don't necessarily make the pickup "F" spaced. I have a Dimarzio X2N with blade magnets that is standard spaced, and I have another that is "F" spaced and is stamped with the "F" on back. So magnets like that don't always mean they will be as long as needed for the "F" spacing. But you're right about the EMG's, they extend almost the entire housing across and will accomodate any normal trem spacing...
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

okay thanks dudes, when ive got money I will take a good look at those EMG's.
            For the moment, I have a Dimarzio humbucker from hell in the bridge, I know its a neck pickup but I like my bright single coil-esque sounds. However, I have found that I much prefer the overall sound with the tone knob rolled down to say 7 (got no numbers so cant tell).
            IS there any way to get the effect of rolling down the tone slightly, with the tone in full position, to save me having to roll it down and get it right each time?
            thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X