No announcement yet.

Opinions on Dan Erlewine repair videos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Dan Erlewine repair videos?

Just curious if anyone has seen the Dan Erlewine
    repair videos from Stew Mac. Are they worth it for someone looking to learn how to work on their own guitars, or are they more for someone looking to get into business doing guitar repairs?

Re: Opinions on Dan Erlewine repair videos?

I haven't seen any of his videos so I can not comment on them. If you are looking for something to help you with adjustments and doing a setup on your guitar Tracy Longo has a video that's great for that. He covers things like truss rod, floyd and nut adjustments. I think it's a bit cheaper than the videos at Stew Mac also.

Comment

I hadn't heard of those videos, I'll look into them. I have Dan Erlewine's books and really like those. I was hoping the videos went into more detail where the books are light.

Comment

I'm with I.M on this one his books are great I use them all the time when I get stumped on someting.Lots of helpful info.Have not seen the videos tho'
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have seen almost all of his videos, including some he made in the early 80's where he does some disturbing mods to some (now) cool vintage guitars. Like one that makes me cringe is where he routes out a 60's Fender body so one could adjust the truss rod without removing the neck.

His videos are good guides, but hands on practice is still very important. Also, learn other peoples methods as well as there is always atleast two ways of doing a job right and one may be easier for you than the other.

Comment

There are as many different ways to do guitar repairs as there are guitar repair guys. All three of my teachers do things slightly differently, and I do things slightly differently from them, and other thechs I know do things slightly differently than me. I try and learn as many ways to do repairs as I can, then I use the one that works best for me, and adapt it to my own style. The most important thing is to learn different ways through hands-on experience.

Comment

Sounds like good advice. Since I posted the question I got his "How to assemble a solidbody
              guitar video". Turns out it has a lot of the info I was looking for (I would have liked him
              to talk about fret dressing some). Good deal for $20, though the video quality could be better.

Comment

Working...
              X