Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the VISUAL difference between guitar cables and speaker cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the VISUAL difference between guitar cables and speaker cables?

I know that speaker cable carries more voltage and isn't shielded, etc..... But what about these cable that have the permanent rubber casing next to the tip or a solid rubber casing? You can't unscrew them and look. So how do you usually tell at a glance? I've played guitar for over 20 years and I've always kept them seperated by purpose so this has never came up.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

usually they have speaker and instrument cable written on them.
    "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
      usually they have speaker and instrument cable written on them.
      I've seen some that don't.....
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

generaly speaking of course, i would just mark them off with white electricians tape.
        "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

delete me please
          Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 05-04-2007, 02:59 PM. Reason: please delete
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The ones with the permanent ends are typically cheap instrument cables.
            The wire gauge is most likely not heavy enough to be a good speaker cable.
            Speaker cable is also noisy as hell when used as an instrument cable.
            -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
              Speaker cable is also noisy as hell when used as an instrument cable.
              That's cuz speaker cable usually isn't shielded.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Speaker cable seems a little bit thicker (at least comparing my Monster guitar cables to Monster speaker cables).
                They also come with little grooves in them and little colored bands (red, blue, yellow and green). I put the blue bands on the speaker cables and red ones on my guitar cables.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I currently have a cheap thin instrument cable going from my head to my cabinet, should i use a speaker cable for this? And what difference would it give me?
                  Or are you guys talking about other speakers (PA?)

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                    I currently have a cheap thin instrument cable going from my head to my cabinet, should i use a speaker cable for this? And what difference would it give me?
                    Get a real speaker cable.
                    If it's a tube head and the cheap cable fails, you risk damaging the head.
                    -Rick

Comment

The only way that I can tell between some of mine are that my speaker cables are shorter and grayer than my instrument ones. If you have problems then I would mark them with tape or tie something to them.

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
                        If you have a tube head, you might be in for trouble using a "cheap" cable to bridge the head to the cabinet as tube heads do not like being driven into nothing.

I buy good quality instrument cables and use them for the PA monitors as well, having never had any problems. I also label both ends of all cables with medical tape and a fine point Sharpie. Any numbnuts can re-wire the rig if I am not present and not screw anything up.

Comment

Working...
                        X