Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truss rod adjustment trouble

Hello guys,

2 days ago i recieved my very first Jackson guitar (a KV2), and i noticed it had a lot of fretbuzz. So after a bit of searching on the internet i found out that the neck was too straight (using the first & last fret trick to find the action on the 12th fret).
    So i adjusted the truss rod a bit, turned it clockwise about 1/4 (maybe a bit more) and after a while the neck settled with a good action. There was still a bit of buzz on the first 2 frets but barely noticable.
    Now, 2 days later i notice the action is a bit too high, so i go ahead and readjust the truss rod slightly (less than 1/4), unfortunately in the wrong direction and I hear a small crack, not metal breaking but wood cracking. The action got a little higher, so i turn the rod in the good direction now (counter-clockwise), to lower the action. After about 1/2 turn (could be more), the rod is completely loose .. I start to panick ofcourse, thinking the rod is broken. Then i turned the rod clockwise again and it tightens (hurray i guess?), but i don't see any change of the action...

Please tell me the rod isn't broken after all. I know i acted a little impatient and that wood needs to settle when the rod is adjusted, but is it normal for a rod to be completely loose, without any change to the neck?
    I put the guitar back in the case now, and will check tomorrow for any change, but if you guys have any advice, it would be well appreciated.

Thanks, a worried Jackson.

You adjusted it the wrong way. If the action is too high (I usually check between frets 5 through 9 while holding down the first and last fret), you need to turn the rod to the right (clockwise) to tighten it. Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So basically, this guide is wrong : http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/tru...44fed49ac3.pdf ?

Comment

Originally posted by SlasZ View Post
        So basically, this guide is wrong : http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/tru...44fed49ac3.pdf ?
        No, that guide is right. Here's what you said... "The action got a little higher, so i turn the rod in the good direction now (counter-clockwise), to lower the action. After about 1/2 turn (could be more), the rod is completely loose."

You turned it counterclockwise (left) and loosened it too much, which will raise the strings. You need to tighten it now by turning to the right, clockwise.

Comment

Aha, so if the rod is completely loose as it is now, the action would be high?

Comment

Yes, because the rod is loose and the strings are pulling the neck too much.

Comment

Great thanks, indeed i tightened the rod and its starting to lower the action.

Comment

No problem. Just let it settle a little before giving it another tweak, only turn a little at a time. Some necks will move right away, others might take up to a day before you see any results.

Comment

And another guitarist is happy with his guitar with the help of the mighty TOEJAM!
                  Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

one thing though...neck relief is only ONE of the adjustments you can make to affect action. you should adjust the neck to where there is a slightly bow, and how much is personal preference really, but i try to get it to where its about the gauge of a 9 or 10 string, while holding the string down at the 1st and 15th fret (about where it joins the body), and checking at the 7th or 9th frets.

once the neck is set nicely, i raise or lower the bridge or saddles (depending on whether or not its a floyd or vintage trem).
                    My metal band Lucian Scott
                    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                    Available Now!
                    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Setting the relief right is a powerful tool. I remember when a friend of mine, who is a great player but not much of a gear head, told me he basically had retired his brand-new Soloist to the closet in favor of his old Kramer. He had the Floyd flush with the top, but the strings were still a mile high and it was tough work to play it. I asked to see it, and sure enough it was just the truss rod that needed a serious tweaking. I´ve actually never seen a Jackson with a set-up that bad, but it had come nonstop from the US, to Germany, to the south of Sweden and up here to the icy north... so I´m putting it down to changing weather conditions.

Comment

Working...
                      X