Here is a killer idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here is a killer idea

Someone in the know please put together a list of screw sizes for common parts such as trems, pickup rings, pickguards, tuners, control cover plates, etc so that the next time I go to Home Depot I don't have to spend 20 minutes trying to match up sizes. Something like this would be a great help (to me at least).

Re: Here is a killer idea

I actually have compiled a large list of these hardware items on paper but I don't have anything in an uploadable format. If enough people desire such a thing I would be happy to type something up but the problem is that Home Depot (or any other hardware/home builder supply) isn't going to have 99% of them anyway.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Hey Mark, don't you have a guitar parts business?
      Why don't ya stock all that? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ron you get 5 minutes time out for that statement. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Actually, Lowe's has a pretty good selection, and the prices are far cheaper than if you buy "guitar parts". Mind you, you won't find alot of the smaller screws, and the selection of finishes other than chrome are pretty bad. I don't imagine that guitar manufacturers make their own screws, so they have to get thme somewhere...

Comment

OK, times up. What did we learn from this? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, Lowes does carry a lot of fasteners......but there aint much need for a stainless 1/4-20 bolt on guitars!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

OK, here's a short list that should cover most common applications:
                  Pickguard, rear covers - #4 X 1/2" or #3 X 3/8"
                  Neck plate (long)- #8 X 1 3/4"
                  Neck plate (short) - #8 X 1 3/8"
                  Tuners - #3 X 1/2"
                  Truss cover - #2 X 3/8"
                  Hum pup ring (long) - #2 X 3/4"
                  Hum pup ring (short) - #2 X 1/2"
                  Hum mounting bolts - #3-48 X 1 1/4"
                  SC mounting bolts (w/pickguard) - #6-32 X 3/4"
                  Blade switch - #6-32 X 1/4"
                  V-trem pivot screws - #6 X 1"
                  Spring claw - #8 X 1 3/4"
                  Floyd saddle (intonation) bolts - M3 X 8mm
                  Floyd lock nut blocks - M4 X 8mm

Comment

superb work, this is exactly what I needed. The Menards near me (which is a midwest place I think) has some nice brass screws I have used before.

Comment

Hey Mark, I am looking for a trem post for my Ibanez USRG20TP. It has the Low Pro Edge Trem in Cosmo black on it. I also need one locknut at the nut for my students newly aquired Jackson RX10D. I gave him a phillips screw that is the correct thread to use temporarily. He needs the hex head one to match the rest.

Comment

If you want to fax me or email me a list. I can put it in a pdf format for the JCF
                        www.kiddhavok.com
                        www.youtube.com/kiddhavokband

Comment

John, email me about the stud and bolts.
                          Skidd, that would be cool! Give me a few days to get the list typed up in word format and I'll email it to you.

Comment

Hey, I just want to mention that I think a list of screw/bolt sizes a great idea. Lord knows how much time I spent matching up bolt/screw/thread sizes in a hardware store! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                            X