Neck problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck problems

I've got a set neck Explorer with a bit of a bow in it. How would I rectify this? Truss Rod? This is one area I'm not too familiar yet in guitar repair.

Re: Neck problems

Depends what kind of bow... Check out this Taylor Tech Sheet for diagrams and info:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/...adjustment.pdf

Comment

Hey NOTP,

THANK YOU for posting this! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have never known how to adjust my guitar's truss rods, and I've always wanted to learn, but I've always had a tech to rely on, so I never did try it. Now I have no local tech, so I guess it's time to go for it. This tech sheet will help!

Comment

There's only one quote on that Taylor sheet that bothers me:

The truss rod is fairly rugged so you shouldn't worry about experimenting with different adjustments.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maybe that's true of Taylor or maybe Taylor does a big after-market repair business. But that's so NOT true in all cases.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

You're welcome! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yeah, that part is kinda iffy for me as well. I don't think ALL truss rods are built as tough as Taylor's truss rods (or however tough they claim them to be). Fortunately, all the truss rods I've ever worked with were rather rugged... a quarter turn isn't going to seriously harm your guitar if you turn it the wrong way, in my experiences.

Comment

dont turn the truss rod bolt more than a 1/4 turn at a time. if it feels like its gettin much harder to turn in either dirrection STOP. it MAY take a day or 2 for the neck to settle after the adjustment.

Comment

The truss rod is a static adjustment and I've never had to wait for the neck to "settle". Completely loosen all the strings, tighten the truss rod until the neck appears almost perfectly flat (or even a very slight back-bow depending on what string gauges you're using) then string it up, tune it, and re-check. The only real important thing is to never adjust the truss rod under string tension. That whole "settling" thing is just a myth in my opinion. You can properly adjust a truss rod and set up a guitar in under 30 minutes. No problem!
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

"Completely loosen all the strings, tighten the truss rod until the neck appears almost perfectly flat (or even a very slight back-bow depending on what string gauges you're using) then string it up, tune it, and re-check. The only real important thing is to never adjust the truss rod under string tension."

I'm gettin' a bit confused. The Taylor sheet says: "IMPORTANT! STRINGS SHOULD BE TUNED TO CONCERT PITCH TO PROPERLY ADJUST THE NECK."

Comment

I always thought you were supposed to adjust the truss rod with the strings on tuned up to pitch. That's the way I've always done it. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've always adjusted the truss rod under full string tension. Just if it gets really hard to turn, you may be at risk of stripping a nut or damaging the rod. 1/4 turn at a time - if you want, that's ok... after you adjust a few necks you get a pretty good feel for how much you need.

Pete

Comment

A lot of people like to do it under string tension because it is less time consuming but it's also harder on the truss rod in my opinion. Whenever I buy a used guitar the first thing I do is take the strings off, adjust the truss rod to make the fretboard perfectly flat, lightly dress the frets to make sure there's no high or low spots, then restring and tune to pitch. They almost always end up with the perfect amount of relief. If there's too much relief I loosen the strings, tighten the truss rod about 1/8 turn and retune. I know everyone has different methods but this has always worked well for me.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                        Thanks to your help and a nice site with info RE: truss rod adjustments, which you can find here: Truss Rod Adjusting Info, I finally gathered the courage to adjust the truss rod on one of my guitars last night. About 1/4 turn, and the buzzing in the lower register is gone!!

Thanks, everyone! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

There are no hard and fast rules for adjusting necks, or doing ANY repairs.

I have never seen any reason for the whole 1/4 of a turn at a time thing. My favorite example is a Charvel Standard I worked on that had enough bow in the neck to go hunting with. We're talking about 1/4" of RELIEF. I cranked the flying fuck out of the truss rod and the damn thing flattened out perfectly. The action was around 1mm, no buzzes. SWEETNESS! It was put back out into the warehouse for some reason, and two or three weeks later it's back on my desk. I pull it out of the box and the fucker is STILL super low with no hint of buzz. MEGA SWEET!

The moral? KNOW YOUR GEAR. Pay attention to it. I have guitars that haven't had a truss rod adjustment in years, and others I have to adjust every few months. Some can change from 9's to 13's and stay straight, others need a lot of tweaking. There are no hard and fast guidelines to repairs. It's all a matter of knowing what your gear wants you to do.

Comment

I have turned more than a whole turn at a time, done it with string on, strings off, strings on but loose, strings loose with a pack of smokes under them, it really doesn't matter.

In a nut shell, the best way is to leave the strings on and turn it till it's straight. It isn't rocket science ya know....

Matt

Comment

The most important thing to remeber with truss rod adjustments is IF IT GETS HARD TO TURN, STOP!!! As long as you understand that brute force is NOT the awnser, you shouldn't be able to hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X