Model 6 trem issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 6 trem issues

hey guys, I have an early charvel model 6, it has the jt6 and I was planning on putting the later trem model on it, has anyone done that, and does it require any routing? also any model types for the trem would be appreciated thanks

Re: Model 6 trem issues

yes, you can put an original floyd or the schaller one on there without a problem at all.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

awesome, whats a good price on a schaller?

Comment

heh...a good price for a schaller would be five bucks! [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] however, a real price for them new are around $150 or so, depending on finish. you can get original floyds at warmoth.com from 150-190, depending on finish.

sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The trem post bushings on the model series guitars are larger than the OFR bushings.But if your trem studs are in good shape use them, the OFR will drop right in and work just fine.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Since the JT6 is a non-recessed trem, make sure the new trem's got the longer 42mm block and not the shorter one for recessed trems.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

If you don't mind going the used route, you can usually get a Schaller for $50-60 on Ebay, sometimes you can even score a OFR for that price. I just saw a Schaller recently with a BIN of $40.
              However which way you get one, make sure it has the long (42 mm) trem block cos you'll need it for the Model 6 as it's in non-recessed.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Since the JT6 is a non-recessed trem, make sure the new trem's got the longer 42mm block and not the shorter one for recessed trems.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good, someone agrees with, so I'm not just blowing smoke! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

hehe [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

just out of curiosity, is there anywhere you can buy just the long trem block?

Comment

just out of curiosity, is there anywhere you can buy just the long trem block?
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Not to my knowledge. I've never seen them listed in any catalog that sells other Floyd/Schaller parts. I've never seen the baseplate sold separately either. But other than those 2 pieces, everthing else can be bought from suppliers like Stew-Mac.

Comment

i put an old screw in bar type OFR on my mod6. fit perfect with the old studs but the radious does not match as well as the JT-6. i dont know if the schaller is flatter but it may be a better choice. btw i put the jt6 backon, since its my main player

Comment

The JT6 DID have the same string spacing as an OFR and as far as the neck radius goes, the only difference is that the JT6 has only one size saddle, the baseplate is "stepped" to provide the radius. The Schallers and Floyds use different height saddles to achieve the same thing on a flat baseplate.
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Regarding the radius, one thing to remember about the JT-6 is that it does NOT use the wider Floyd spacing. I don't know how much impact that would have on the radius, or whether the fretboard was shaped specifically for that bridge, but I would think it would make some difference.

BTW, there are some licensed Floyds available with adjustable saddles. I'm not sure which brand, but I did buy a generic used one that was built that way.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion:
                              Regarding the radius, one thing to remember about the JT-6 is that it does NOT use the wider Floyd spacing. I don't know how much impact that would have on the radius, or whether the fretboard was shaped specifically for that bridge, but I would think it would make some difference.

BTW, there are some licensed Floyds available with adjustable saddles. I'm not sure which brand, but I did buy a generic used one that was built that way.
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't know about all that, but when I had my Model 6 refinished at GMW I had them install a new Schaller, and it plays and functions beautifully.
                              Scott
                              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X