Calling all Meter Geeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Meter Geeks

Ok, so I broke down and bought a digital multimeter to test pickups with [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So now I got a couple of questions:
    Duncan says the Jazz neck model should be about 7.72k, but all I'm reading is 7.4k - is this a normal amount of variance?

Also, does anyone happen to know the specs for the Gibson 500T? Mine's reading 14.35k

So since I'm already here, may as well list the others I've checked so far [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The pickups in my LP Custom:
    bridge 8.68 <----- [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ---
    mid 13.93 <------- [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] |
    neck 14.91 <------ [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ---
    (why is the neck higher than the bridge? and that middle seems awful hot)

Les Paul Standard:
    Bridge (500T) 14.35
    Neck (490R?) 8.14

Duncan Designed:
    HB-102 - 16.74k - which seems odd because I thought it sounded weak and crappy.
    SC-101 - 6.96k

Jackson:
    J100 single coil - 12.5k
    J200 stacked single - 11.5k

1980's Gibson Dirty Fingers:
    Bridge - 16k
    Neck - 15.9k

Armstrong Rails from a Warrior:

Duncan Lil59:
    12.04k (Duncan says 11.78k)

Duncan Classic Stack:
    7.23k - Duncan says 20k for the Bridge, 14k for the neck. Sticker on pickup says 1BX.

Duncan Hot Rails:
    17.46k - Duncan says 16.9k

One of those crapass generic Taiwanese/Korean POS "MMK 45" pickups you find on old crapass imports - 11.68k [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Pretty high output for a POS [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Calling all Meter Geeks

LOL, I did the same thing when I got my digital multimeter. I assume you have it set in the 200k range. I'm still kinda in the dark about pickup output with regards to resistance and impedance and all that. My Dad would be embarassed if he knew. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

The pickups I tested ranged from 9.something up to 18.something, and to be honest, the sound that came out of them didn't necessarily coincide with the measured output.

So, I guess I haven't helped you any have I? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Paul
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Newc, what is the brand and model # of the meter you are using? That could explain it. I use a Fluke 12 and a Fluke 87. 99% of the time I get exactly the same reading that the manufacturer lists. You are testing thes pickups uninstalled.. right?

Comment

You are testing thes pickups uninstalled.. right?
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah, I thought to have an accurate reading you had to have the pickup separated from the rest of the electronics/pots/etc.
        I can't get much of an accurate reading anyway on my ANALOG radioshack multitester...hell, when I measure the resistance of an 8 ohm speaker, a lot of the time it'll register only 6 ohms. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It's a GE from WalMart, and I have it set for 20K - that setting gives me two decimal places, which I prefer for some inexplicable reason [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Most of them were tested uninstalled, but the Les Paul pickups (except the middle of the Custom) were still wired in. If you put it on the wire itself and not the pot lug, you get the same reading as if it was not connected.

Newc
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Newc,

Assuming you have a meter that can be claibrated...when reading impedance...the first thing you should do is calibrate it (put the two contacts together and make sure they read zero, and make adjustments accordingly)

Your Gibson LP reads hotter in the middle and neck positions, because Gibson designed them that way. Neck pickups in Gibsons should always be a little hotter than the bridge pickup.

Most Gibson PAF pickups (the standard by which all others are judged)...should read at appx 8.7 (to .9)

Hi...my name is Ken..and I am a recovering meter geek [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]

Comment

Yes I actually knew about calibrating the meter - my dad's an electronics guy (former tv/vcr repairman, etc) so he's got all the cool tools, and showed me some stuff over the years about electronics [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II:
                Yeah, I thought to have an accurate reading you had to have the pickup separated from the rest of the electronics/pots/etc.
                I can't get much of an accurate reading anyway on my ANALOG radioshack multitester...hell, when I measure the resistance of an 8 ohm speaker, a lot of the time it'll register only 6 ohms. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You realize that impedance and resistance are different, right? Though both are measured in ohms, the impedance of a circuit contains the capacitive and inductive loads as well as resistance. So the resistance of a circuit with a capacitive and inducive load will always be less than the impedance.

http://users.erols.com/renau/impedance.html

If you take a a multimeter and attach the leads to the pickup (or speaker) wires, all you're going to measure is resistance. Getting the impedance is a bit tougher.

Comment

What is the tolerance of the meter you are using?

Comment

If you take a a multimeter and attach the leads to the pickup (or speaker) wires, all you're going to measure is resistance. Getting the impedance is a bit tougher.
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Oh, so that might explain the weird mesurements I got with speakers. Thanks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Tolerance? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      Ohms ability is 200, 2000, 20K, 200K, 2000K

Other than that, you've lost me [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The model is GE2524 (see Wal-Mart for details [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )

Newc

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyApollo:
                        You realize that impedance and resistance are different, right? Though both are measured in ohms, the impedance of a circuit contains the capacitive and inductive loads...
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You lost me right there dude. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One day I am going to read a book on this stuff I swear. Seriously, I can rewire a guitar, rewire my house, etc, but I never really understood the nitty gritty of electricity. I suck. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                        X